Saturday, March 31, 2012

From Candy to Christ

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6: 9

Well, I have a confession to make. I don’t enjoy working with kindergarten-age students very much. There, I said it! I have one at home, and let me tell you, homework time is always a bumpy ride. I don’t think I am mentally qualified or physically prepared to teach little kids, so I avoid it as much as I can. The Lord, however, has other plans. He has often positioned me in circumstances where I have been faced with the reality of having to lead His precious little ones’ first steps into His path.
Such has been the case at Kid Zone the last few months. When our wonderful Children’s Ministry Director needed someone to fill the Kindergarten position for the last half of our Wednesday-after-school program at church; I resisted. Resistance is futile, however. When the Lord nudges you in one direction; there is little that can be done to refuse Him. See Jonah if you don’t believe me.

At any rate, eventually, I volunteered and I began teaching the Kindergarten class every Wednesday afternoon aided by my wonderful friend Helen. I credit Helen for my survival – and that of the children – one of which was my very own Dylan.

During the second to last Wednesday of Kid Zone I decided to compile two lessons into one so we could talk about the whole Easter story in one day, rather than splitting the crucifixion from the resurrection, because I wanted the kids to leave with the “Good News,” that Jesus is alive rather than leave it at His death. So I began the lesson by asking them if they knew what Easter was all about.


After pondering for a few seconds; I began to hear them saying with great excitement things like “candy!” “Chocolate!” “Easter Bunny!” and such. They began recollecting sweet treats and trinkets they’ve all gotten in their Easter baskets in prior years. As I looked around the little table surrounded by little faces all lit up with the thought of Easter candy, Dylan approached me quietly and whispered in my ear, “it’s about God.” At the same time, another little boy sitting across the table from me said, “Jesus.” Those where the only two contributions that linked Easter to its real meaning and significance.
I didn’t dwell on the reality around me. I put it in the back of my head and moved on to tell them that Easter was all about Jesus. And I went from there and told them the story of the cross and the resurrection as best as I could. When the day was over, I went home wondering if they even heard anything I’d said. “I guess I’ll never know,” I thought as I walked away from the church that afternoon.

One week later, we gathered together one last time at Kid Zone to celebrate the end of the season with a gorgeous spring day, a parachute and pizza party, music, “shopping,” and a final lesson. In the classroom, I did not know what I was going to do. I was done with lessons, so I was going to have to wing it. I decided to review last week’s lesson, so I began asking the question, “do you remember what Easter is all about?” I could not believe the reply. To my delight, the children offered a polyphonic chorus in reply. I don’t exaggerate, what they responded truly sounded like angelic music to my ears. “Easter is about Jesus’ death,” shouted Ryan from across the table. Helen pointed at him and looked at me. I nodded in agreement. “It’s about, God!” “It’s about Jesus coming back to life!” The other kids added.

I said aloud, trying to speak above their young, excited voices, “Yes! You got it! Easter is about Jesus’ death on the cross and about Him coming back to life again!” I stood up and said, “Our God is not dead! He is alive!” And we all made a loud noise in praises that only our Lord could understand. In my heart I said, “He is alive, indeed! Hallelujah!”

I never thought I’d say this, but as I saw my kindergarteners leave the room at the end of the day, I felt really sad that Kid Zone was over. Dylan and I stayed behind for a few minutes gathering up the last remains of another season of Kid Zone that had come to a close. As I picked up crayons from the floor and papers from the little tables, I praised the Lord for the chance He’s given me, once again, to witness His power and glory. It is no wonder that He said that His Kingdom belongs to those who have the hearts of little children. In their innocence and purity, with the proper guidance, they assimilate the message of Jesus, the Good News of the Gospel smoothly and without question.

Once again, the Lord has shown Himself to me in the eyes of His beloved so I do not grow tired of doing His work. May I, and all who serve Him, always keep the words of 1 Corinthians 15:58 fresh in our hearts and minds: Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.