Wednesday, September 3, 2014

With Him All Is Possible!



“Can you think of any need you have that would require more strength than God exercised to raise the dead?”

Hmmm….

This question was in my devotional a few days ago. And I just can’t stop thinking about it. It is both, a truly challenging as well as a truly comforting question/statement to ponder.

There is only one right answer to such an inquiry…NO…there isn’t anything that I may be going through that requires more strength and power than God exercised to raise the dead. This is a clear illustration of the fact that “nothing is impossible with God.” (Luke 1: 37)

The question has been pondered from the very beginning. Remember Abraham and Sarah’s doubt? When Abraham was told that his descendants will be as many as the stars in the sky, even though his wife Sarah was barren (and way past her fertile years), the heavenly visitor told Abraham: “Is anything too hard for the LORD? I will return to you at the appointed time next year, and Sarah will have a son." Genesis 18: 14

Jesus also reminds us about the Almighty power of God when He tells His disciples that for mankind, salvation is, indeed, “impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19: 26.

If the Bible states such a truth, why, O WHY do we still fret?

I don’t know…I am certifiably the least qualified person to answer that question…

I do know, however, that in my case, my anxiety and worry may be the product of my current vulnerable state as I am in the process of overcoming serious challenges. I am barely taking the first steps into the road to surrendering and trusting the Lord after passing a major crossroads in my life. At that fork on the road, the Holy Spirit guided me in my decision process and I was able to choose trust. However, that decision was just the beginning of the journey. The road spreads long and steep in front of me. I am very far from arriving yet. Like I said, I’m just beginning to take the first steps of this difficult voyage. Complete trust lays still unseen in the very distant future.

Therefore, fear is still very much a part of my life. I can sense, however, that things are starting to turn. I can see that the decision to trust My Lord is showing the first signs of taking root, for I am way more relaxed than I was, say, a year ago at this very moment. While facing a test, I have been anxious just a couple of days compared to the long weeks preceding that same test last year. I count that as a victory! By seeing the anxiety as another opportunity to allow the Holy Spirit to develop trust in me, I have been able to endure the time leading up to the test in a much calmer state than before. By focusing on the Omnipotence of God, I have been able to breathe more freely. By keeping my eyes on Him, I have been able to experience His love. By accepting the fact that His will is perfect, I have been able to exhale.

I have discovered, then, that there isn’t a magic potion or ritual we can drink or perform which would instantaneously give us full trust in our Lord. Trusting Our God develops as we experience a lifetime of trials and victories alongside Christ, as the Holy Spirit works in us all throughout the sanctification process. It is in the day-to-day faithfulness of Our Heavenly Father that we begin to accept His will as perfect regardless of its level of hardship and we stop panicking at impending suffering. That’s when we can begin to count it all joy and move on, trusting that His grace truly is sufficient and His arms truly are strong enough to hold us and protect us.

As I contemplate the reality of God’s omnipotence all around me, I am striving to make the prophet Jeremiah’s words my own, and with conviction express…

"Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you.” (Jeremiah 32: 17)

Ahhhhh…

May this affirmation of total comfort and peace in the Power of our Lord steady our souls and dissipate our fears. Amen!

Linking with:  Whole Hearted Home and Rosilind Jukic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.