Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Out in the Fields



And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 
Luke 2: 8

Out of all the people involved in the birth of Jesus, the shepherds are the most intriguing to me. I don’t know the first thing about being a shepherd. I don’t know the first thing about sheep. I don’t know the first thing about protecting a flock of anything. But I do know a bit about being lonely. I know a bit about what it feels like to be “living out in the fields.” Not the literal ones, but those figurative and very real desolate fields of the soul.

I know what it feels like to be alone in your home…alone because you don’t know where you belong.

The story doesn’t end there, however. For in the silence of the night, these solitary men, considered outcast and unclean, were the chosen ones to receive the greatest news ever revealed,


An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”  
Luke 2: 9-12
This is the hope for the lonely. Emmanuel is here. He is near those in need. He mends the broken heart. He makes all things new.



May every child of God who sits alone this silent night, feel the grace of the living God coming into their hearts to bring them light. May the presence of the God with Us be real tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.