Sunday, November 25, 2018

Jesus Talks to Women: Matthew 20



20 Then the mother of Zebedee’s sons came to Jesus with her sons and, kneeling down, asked a favor of him.

21 “What is it you want?” he asked.

She said, “Grant that one of these two sons of  mine may sit at your right and the other at your left in your kingdom.”

22 “You don’t know what you are asking,” Jesus said to them. “Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?”

“We can,” they answered.

I am one of those Moms who thinks she knows better.  I mean, I've lived way longer than my sons, so OF COURSE I know better.  When they are going, I've already come back and then some.  I'm not a young Mom.  So, my age and experience help me know exactly what's going on and how it should be dealt with.  If only they would listen to me and do what I say!!!  If they would only accept that I know better and that my way is the best way!!!

The issue is, however, that not only do I believe I know better than my sons, which I do! But I also believe, often, that I know better than my Lord...

That's why I am such a nervous wreck all the time when it comes to my children.  Because I believe it is up to me to make sure that they turn out ok.  I always forget that it is not about my limited power, and that they don't belong to me.  Even when I pray for them, I try to tell God how to direct their lives!  I forget that my job is to love them, and that I must leave the plan for their lives in the hands of the One Who Created them and Who Calls Them His Own.

This is why I identify with the Mother in today's passage so well.  I see me in her.  I also would like to intercede for my two sons to see them one at each side of the Lord's Throne.  Not realizing that "I don't know what I am asking..." given the opportunity, I would kneel down in front of Jesus and request the impossible.  After all, we are invited to do so, right?  "ask and you shall receive"?  But, as I step back, I don't think this is what it means.

The Lord honors a Mother's prayer.  He even did what His Mom said once or twice.  Remember the wedding at Cana thing, with the water turned into wine?  I mean, He even said to her how His time of public ministry hadn't started yet.  It was almost like Jesus saying (not to be sacrilegious or anything):  "come on woman, let me enjoy myself while I still can!" (John 2: 1-5) But He still did it! Why was, then, this Mother's request not appropriate?  Probably because it was not made in the spirit of humility. 

Can you imagine this Mother's sense of pride and self-righteousness later?  "Look at MY SONS!!!"  "See ... the ones sitting at each side of the Lord?  Those are MY sons!"  "Jesus gave them the place of highest honor because I asked Him!"  "Aren't I just the best!!!???"  "Look at MY sons!  The ones in the honors roll!  The ones up in the front!  The one with the saxophone solos!!!!  The one with the highest scores on the board!!  The ones accepted to the best colleges.  The ones with the best jobs.  The ones with the best lives..."  "And it's all because of MY efforts.  Aren't I the best?"

Pride!

In this interaction of Jesus and a woman we see a blatant display of pride.  It is no wonder that, even though Jesus treated the woman with respect and actually LISTENED to her rather than dismissing her or ignoring her as others would have...He was very firm and, as usual, used the opportunity as a teaching moment to teach a lesson mostly to her sons, that will last for the ages:

“You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 26 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” 
(Matthew 20: 25-28)

How quickly do they/we forget!!!  He had just said a parable in Matthew 20: 16 where the main message was:  "So the last will be first, and the first will be last."  And just a few steps later, James, John and their Mother are making such a request!  I can't judge them, though, for I am guilty of doing the same many times too...

This is why today, I pray, the Lord teaches me the necessary humility to be a Mother who performs her God-given job with complete trust on the plans that He has designed for her children, and with a humble heart, she praises Him and worships Him for the gift that those children are...regardless of the place they hold or will hold in life.  It is not about the worldly accomplishments.  It is about belonging to the family of Christ!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.