Monday, October 3, 2022

May I Present Him My Willing Heart

 I don't know about you, but, I like my food to be flavorful.  I know, I know...I'm weird that way...but I tell you, bland is not my favorite.  I mean, think about ordering a delicious steak at a most excellent steak house (or whatever your preferred dish might be).  Oh the anticipation!! -We don't go out to eat much, so when we do, I'm all giddy inside!- Anyway, finally, after what seems like an eternity, your meal arrives at your table.  You look at it.  You turn your plate around to admire it from every angle. You take a picture of it.  You pick up your utensils with reverence.  You inhale its fragrance.  You close your eyes to enjoy a maximum experience of the expected explosion of taste in your mouth...and...and...you take that glorious first bite...

Then, those around you wonder what's wrong with you.  They've just witnessed your face going from "Christmas morning at age 7 and 1/2" to "Saturday, 8:00 a.m. advanced trigonometry final exam."  

The reason: the seemingly heavenly steak or whatever you ordered-meal is completely insipid.  You don't know whether to call the waitress to check if they gave you someone else's plate or to go to the nearest pharmacy to get a rapid Covid test.  You do neither, and instead, you reach for the salt and pepper...only to realize...there aren't any shakers at the table...nothing...no condiments at all.  What's even more strange is that you ask for salt, anything that could bring some flavor to this sorry excuse of a main course...but they don't even know what you're talking about.  Nobody has heard of salt...that is your food...and that is the world without Christians...without the "salt of the earth."

We are the salt...and as such, our mission is to provide what salt does...and to provide it to others.  Salt it's not salty for its own sake.  Salt exists to be poured out, pinched and tossed, and sprinkled around so others can have a flavorful experience when they dig into their sustenance.  The salt that remains out of reach, hidden underground...does not fulfill its purpose...just like the light that is under a bushel.  We have to give ourselves fully so our salt can do its thing...but, are we?  Am I?

Matthew 5: 13-16 has always been challenging to me.  We meditated on it on Sunday service and it shook me.  Today, I read in a devotional a series of questions that get to the core of my discomfort:

"The mirror is "the word of truth" from God (James 1:18). When we read the Scriptures, what do we see? Do we recognize ourselves when they describe love and humility? Do we see our own actions when we read what God commands us to do? When we look into our hearts and test our actions, Scripture can help us recognize if our actions are in line with what God desires for us or if we need to seek repentance and make a change." (Our Daily Bread, 10/3/22)

When presented with challenging Bible passages like Matthew 5: 13-16, the mirror of Scripture is placed directly in front of me and all these questions bombard my heart bringing an enormous amount of conviction since I know my answers will not represent a passing grade...

The good news is, in spite of our weakness and our failures, we need not be weighted down by the guilt of our shortcomings.  Guilt is a tool of the enemy to keep us crushed and ineffective.  Jesus is about forgiveness.  Mercy flows through the throne of God. 

The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. He will not always chide, nor will he keep his anger forever. He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us. (Psalm 103: 8-12)


He knows we are going to stall often, For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (Romans 3: 23).  But, God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. (John 3: 17)  And  “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Romans 10: 13) There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8: 1)

He makes all things new (Revelations 21: 5)...even us...even me...

I am weak.  My salt may be losing its saltiness.  I have been out of the reach of those who need me for too long. But He can still use me.  Even if I've been hiding for a long time, He can put me back on the table so whatever nutrients are still in me can be poured out and sprinkled around to flavor someone else's experience with the blessing of His Presence.  He can reach underneath the bushel, grab my light and put it on His stand so whatever light still remains in me can contribute to shine in the darkness of our days.  May I present to Him my willing heart.  In Christ's precious Name, I pray.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.