Monday, February 20, 2023

Random Thoughts

If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 
2 Chronicles 7: 14

As we prepare to wrap up basketball season I look back and see how some of my most treasured memories are those of Dylan looking at us from the court whenever he had an eventful moment.  Whether it was a successful play or a mishap, he'd shoot a glance at us in search of some kind of signal that would indicate something: approval, pride, validation, sympathy, support...anything...anything that would show him we were keeping our eyes on him.

One of the privileges of being a parent is realizing that we are our children's main source of approval and support.  This realization also comes accompanied by the fact that as such, our responsibility is great, indeed.  We are basically, single-handedly responsible for the emotional stability of our kids. We can truly make them or break them, as they say...and that is a very scary thought.

At any rate, all this melancholic reminiscing of a busy basketball season coming to an end is stirring a mix of feelings and thoughts within my heart and mind that I need to unpack.  For example, I've been thinking a lot about the amazing events at some Christian college campuses in a few states where worship and praise have been happening non-stop for the last week or so, while at the same time, pondering the tragic problems plaguing our youth in this country and the world.  I've been thinking about the challenges of taming my tongue.  I've been thinking about a call to being more humble.  I've been thinking about the need to serve more...I've been thinking about the pain and suffering all around me...and about how little I can do to stop it.  

...sigh...

King Solomon had just finished building the Temple and dedicating it, when The Lord Almighty spoke to him.  As the Great Heavenly Father that He is, God said statements of divine wisdom that are applicable all the way down to us today.  His words are a treasure to a world that is in chaos and to a society that is up-side-down.  2 Chronicles 7: 14 is God's direct address to us through Solomon to remind us that even though the world will go through turmoil, there is always powerful steps we can take to help rectify missteps and recalibrate misdirection.  

The steps are:
1. humble ourselves
2. pray and seek His face
3. turn from our wicked ways.

These actions will activate His responses:
1. hear from Heaven
2. forgive our sins
3. heal our land.

O how wonderful and precious is His Name! How clear are His instructions!  If we would only have the willing heart to follow through...

There is so much circling in my mind right now, that I need a chance to process.  So, I am hoping to blog about these thoughts in the coming weeks.  I hope you'd stick around to help me untangle the convoluted railways of my train of thought.  In the meantime, let's remain humble, pray, seek His face and turn from sin.  In the precious Name of Jesus, Our Lord and Savior.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.