Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Praying for Autumn

My favorite stories are those that involve characters who survive the greatest of challenges against all odds.  I especially love survival stories based on real life events when actual people have endured natural or political disasters, war, violence, corruption, and all kinds of destruction, obtaining deliverance ultimately through God's grace.  Edge of my seat movies where the hero is a little David archetype facing a Goliath of a challenge are my absolute favorite!  I often imagine myself as that small person, completely defenseless, making a run for it despite the high waters, the stormy winds, the raging fires, a blanket of bullets, a tall mountain or a dark valley...making it through, guided by the Light of the Holy Spirit and protected by the cover of Heaven's Angels.  The thrill of the adventures, experienced all from the safety of my living room at home, of course, leave me with a heart full of hope on the power of good over evil.

Have any of these types of stories come to life for you? Have you experienced these events in real life? Did you ever actually need to escape danger?  Do you know anyone, personally, who has ever been that real life character trapped in a dangerous place/situation from which the alternatives were to make a break for it or perish? Do you know people who have lived through the stuff of movies, and survived to talk about it afterwards?  

Have you or anyone you know encountered those moments when the Word of God that speaks about passing through deep waters and fires goes from being a powerful image to becoming painfully real...the times when finding the hiding place where He will protect us from trouble points to a literal need for God to surround us with His deliverance?

I cannot say I have experienced anything of that magnitude. Have you?

Today, there is someone I know who is living through one of these stories. The dire circumstances of the place where God called her so many years ago, and where her heart resides, have made it impossible for her to stay and the decision to flee was the only alternative to live.  She is a daughter of our church for whom seeking the will of God and obeying His call has taken her to a most forgotten country that is currently in shambles, where chaos, utter disorder and confusion reign. She took a leap of faith and trusted He who brought her there, to deliver her back into safety.  For days, we have prayed for her safety, and will continue to do so without ceasing until she is home again, securely, out of harms way.  We hang on to His promises and claim them for we trust that all His promises are true!

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Psalm 46: 1

Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life. You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes; with your right hand you save me. Psalm 138: 7

The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him. Nahum 1: 7

But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one. 2 Thessalonians 3: 3

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41: 10

So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” Hebrew 13: 6

My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior— from violent people you save me. 2 Samuel 22: 3

May the Divine Shepherd lead this young woman and her companions back to safety...may His army of angels keep watch over them and bring them home soon.  We Praise the Lord that the most dangerous portion of her journey is completed, and we continue praying for a happy ending to this most compelling, real life story.


Psalm 57

Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me,
for in you I take refuge.
I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings
until the disaster has passed.


I cry out to God Most High,
to God, who vindicates me.
He sends from heaven and saves me,
rebuking those who hotly pursue me—[c]
God sends forth his love and his faithfulness.


I am in the midst of lions;
I am forced to dwell among ravenous beasts—
men whose teeth are spears and arrows,
whose tongues are sharp swords.


Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
let your glory be over all the earth.


They spread a net for my feet—
I was bowed down in distress.
They dug a pit in my path—
but they have fallen into it themselves.


My heart, O God, is steadfast,
my heart is steadfast;
I will sing and make music.
Awake, my soul!
Awake, harp and lyre!
I will awaken the dawn.


I will praise you, Lord, among the nations;
I will sing of you among the peoples.
For great is your love, reaching to the heavens;
your faithfulness reaches to the skies.


Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
let your glory be over all the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.