Saturday, February 14, 2015

Valentine's Snub



Well, yes, I have to admit that ever since Dan and I were dating we became Valentine’s Day snubs. This is one hallmark holiday that we don’t acknowledge (along with many others such as Sweetest Day, Boss Day, Ferris Wheel Day and my all-time-favorite: Tax Day! NOT!).

At any rate…

…it’s not like we started out despising Valentine’s. Not really. The young and very naïve version of us had nothing against the holiday. We actually thought it would be part of our normal celebrations. But right from the start… about 23 years ago to be precise, my then dashing boyfriend (now dashing husband) and I began our sad litany of Valentine’s mishaps…hence, the decision to just give it up for good.

I’m not going to bore you and me by retelling our silly/frustrating stories. Suffice it to say that the several failed attempts left us jaded…besides, I can’t really remember anything prior to 2002…

Anyway…

…as Our Good Lord has blessed me with yet another year stuffing heart-printed little baggies with cavity-inducing sweets and Super Heroes mini-cards for my young son’s Valentine’s Day class party; I got to thinking…

What’s so bad about celebrating love?

Why should I be so cynical at people’s attempts to take a day to show some sort of appreciation to their special someone? (I mean…’comon…it is not every day you get to see tens upon tens of men lined up after work at the Grocery Store’s flower counter, waiting to buy the last, water dripping, cliché, ½ dozen red roses left at the make-shift Valentine’s display…that’s some expression of pure love if I ever saw one)

Sigh…

Okay, focus!

Why is it so wrong to celebrate love!?

The answer is…it’s not!

Love is the only thing that makes life worth living, right!?

Love makes the world go around!

Love made the world…Love made us all. It was Love who spoke us into being. It was Love who took our punishment. It was Love who walked up to Calvary. It was Love who died upon the Cross. Love redeems us. Love saves us. Love sustains us. Love is the Great I AM.

How can I snub love?

I know, it’s not the same. Commercial Valentine’s Day does not celebrate the God who is true Love. But, who says I have to abide by Hallmark’s rules? I can celebrate my own way. After all, doesn’t everyone choose who they want to be their Valentine? Well, I choose mine to be My Lord Jesus the Christ!

He paid my debt. He carried my cross. He found me when I was lost. He took me in when nobody else would have me. Even when those who are supposed to love me, abandon me and forget about me, He never does. He is always there. He binds my broken heart. He heals my wounds. He is my Refuge and my Strength. How can I snub that?

I choose to celebrate Valentine’s Day today as a day to celebrate true Love…the Love who gave it all for me…little, insignificant, wretched old me. (And the best part…I don’t even have to buy a card! : )


For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  
John 3: 16

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.