Sunday, September 8, 2013

Why Jesus?

Our Pastor shared from the pulpit the story of the very first time someone ever asked him if He believed in Jesus.  He said he had just graduated from High School and had been a Christian for about 6 months.  This young girl came to him at a Christian camp and asked him if he believed "all that *&%$#@ that they had been hearing about."  Our Pastor said, "yes!"  Then she asked the most terrifying question a believer may ever get: "why?"

He reminisced on how he stumbled through his answer.  He had no Scripture in his memory database that he could draw from.  He had no clue how to give a convincing and eloquent reply.  At the end of the conversation, they parted ways and he never knew if she ever truly gave her life to Christ.  The encounter did one thing, however.  It caused a huge impact in the young soul of our Pastor so much so that MANY years later he still remembers the incident with the clarity of a divine appointment.  Another thing is also true.  After that event, our Pastor made sure he had an answer for he knew there would be a next time with someone else, and he wanted to be prepared.

That story got me thinking about my own Christian walk.  I have certainly had many Divinely appointed encounters.  I have never, however, had to answer the question, "why do you believe in Christ?"  And I think I might be due for that : /

So now I am consumed by other questions...What would I answer? and what would my answer be like?

Would I be convincing?  I doubt it...when I speak I trip on my words and I can never seem to find the right thing to say.  But then, I don't have to be convincing.  The convincing is up to the Holy Spirit.  I am not responsible for the ultimate outcome of my response.  I am only responsible to give a response.

Would my answer be eloquent?  Of course not!  I have been told I am too intense and that turns people off.  I also have a tendency to stick my foot in my mouth A LOT! So chances are I am not going to sound like an orator.  But again, I don't have to be eloquent.  God can use anybody.  He used Moses for His mighty purposes and he had some sort of speech impediment!

Would my response be likable?  Probably not.  Most people don't really like to face the truth of the need to change their lives or even the need to examine their lives, so chances are they won't like to hear about life changing events.  One more time, I don't have to be likable.  Paul wasn't.  He got kicked out of almost every town he ever visited...and he is PAUL!

So, what would my answer be like?  I think my answer will be genuine.  I will give an honest answer that comes from my heart and from the reality of Christ in my life.

My answer will also be personal.   It will come from my experience as a child of God who follows the Way, the Truth and the Life, Our Savior Jesus the Christ!

My reply will not have a wealth of Scripture in it.  After all, unbelievers do not want to hear: "I believe, because the Bible says so."  The Bible is certainly a key component of my faith, but I must make it real for them, and the only way I know how to do that is by giving them my personal testimony.  I have to somehow express why Jesus.  And it is Jesus because He lives in me, and that is the miracle of my/our faith.  Our Savior is not a distant deity whom like a tyrannic ruler cares not about his subjects.  Our Savior is our friend, our brother, who has been there himself and who is there for us.  He is the air I breathe.  He sustains me.  He moves me, and without Him I am nothing.

I am a long way from formulating in my mind the exact words that would constitute my answer, but at least I know it will be a genuine and personal expression of my very real walk with Christ.  I know the Holy Spirit will guide me in this important quest; but for now, I'm just happy that I got to think about it for a minute.  How about you?

But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...
1 Peter 3: 15

Linking with, Monday Musings

4 comments:

  1. Wow- what a thought provoking post! I must admit I have always been rather terrified of the why question and am not sure how I would answer. I definitely agree with you that Christ lives in us. If we just breathe and let Him guide us, the answer will come. On a side note- I absolutely love daisies and am greatly enjoying your blog design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candance and thank you for stopping by. I'm glad you like daisies...they are my favorite, as you can see : ) I am also glad to hear that my feeble attempt at a meditation seemed thought provoking to you. I think we are all called to give an answer for our faith, even if we never get the question. thanks again and see you later!

      Delete
  2. Hi Gisela! How nice to meet you today!

    Your post today is a lot like mine. Come on over and read it if you have a chance. I think knowing what we believe in makes us much more convincing. Sometimes we take all of that for granted, and then when we're asked to put it into words, the words don't come.

    I think you are right that you don't have to be eloquent. Faith will do the talking, and that will be words enough. So great that you are thinking about how to express your beliefs! You will never regret that.

    How lovely to meet you! I hope I see you again, it would be nice to get to know you better!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceil, thank you for visiting also and for your insightful comment. I will read your post. I'm sure it will be great. Thanks again and it was lovely to meet you too!

      Delete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.