Monday, September 9, 2013

Scars

Today I've been thinking about scars...I wonder why? Might it be, perhaps, because every time I look in the mirror I see one across my neck? Hmmm...

Does everyone have scars? I guess everyone around me has at least one.  My younger son has a pretty huge one on the top of his head.  We have no clue how he got it.  We like to joke about it and say, "he came like that from the factory" : )  My older one has a tiny one in his left nostril...yikes...I'm just glad I wasn't around when he got that cut.  I don't think I could have handled it very well.  My husband has a collection of scars from the different sports he played when he was a kid.

I have more than one.  Some are publicly visible. Some are hidden.  But they are there, like constant reminders of something we went through which marked us forever.  I don't see them, however, as symbols of failure.  To me they are badges of honor which tell the story of how we've been to combat and won a few battles.

Scars also make me think of He who bears the most significant ones of all...they make me think of Christ. The marks in His hands and feet not only represent battle, they symbolize victory itself.  They are the imprints of our salvation story won for us by the Great Overcomer.

O how I long to see His hands and witness the reality of the suffering that paid the price that cancelled my debt...

Today, I've been thinking about scars and how they always tell a story of struggle, endurance and survival.  How they sometimes are seeing and sometimes are hidden.  How some are on the skin and some others are in the Spirit.  I've been thinking about the scars that bring forth life and cleanse the past.  Today, I've been thinking about the blessings that come with the permanent mark of a wound that has healed and leads to a new path.  Most of all, today I've been thinking about Christ.

“He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.” 
1 Peter 2: 24


2 comments:

  1. I loved every word of this! I have so many hidden scars and am very thankful for your "badges of honor" tag for them. It is nice to think of them as wins instead of failures. I'm glad to be reminded of the scars of Christ- the scars that paid our debts, the scars that allow me to be free from the damage of my own hidden scars. I'm so glad we have found each others blogs. I am going to follow by email so I don't miss any of your posts! Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certainly glad to have found your blog as well. It is really inspiring. Your heart-felt stories are an example of how God works in us even when we are not aware of it, and it is all for His glory and for the benefit of all of His children. Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.