Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Jesus Speaks to Women: If I Only Knew...


10 Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.” John 4: 10

Don't you just LOVE Jesus?  I don't know what else to say... My heart bursts with love for Him, Who Knows Me...and even so ... loves me all the same... loves me enough to speak to me... old wretched me...

I identify so much with this "sassy" Samaritan woman, I can't even begin to tell you.  I mean, she's like confronting Him in the previous verse with her implied: "Hey, are you talking to me??" question.  And what does Jesus do?  He pours out His infinite patience onto her.  Can't you see Him?  The almost imperceptible shake of His head; perhaps a soft sigh as He lowers His sight for an instant, to then formulate the words that will bring life to her:  "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying it to you..."  If you only knew who I Am... If you only knew Me... If you only knew...

Lord...help me know!

Help me know You!

Help me know it is You speaking to me in my lowly state...

How many times have I not realized it is You talking to me, Lord?  How many times have I ignored You, Jesus?  How many times have I walked away not understanding it is You whom I have encountered?  How many times have I missed drinking the Living Water because my pride had kept my eyes from seeing You?  How many times have I returned home with an empty jar because I refused to allow You to fill it?  How many times have I not comprehended that Your request of me is only Your way of coming closer so I could receive You and all You have to offer?

Often I fear God's will because I don't understand it.  Often anxiety overcomes me because I don't trust the fact that God's plan for me is good and beneficial.  Often I feel like fainting at the thought of things not working out the way I'd hoped because I still doubt God's love...

I don't want to live like that!  I'm tired of fear, anxiety and doubt!  I want to dive into the Living Waters of Jesus and let go of everything else!  I don't want to be enslaved by the chains of this world.  I want to be free in Jesus' embrace!

The conversation between Jesus and the Samaritan woman is far from over still.  But before we continue reading along, let's pause here and just be in His presence for a while.  There is no better place than sitting by the feet of Jesus, dirty sandals and all.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.