Monday, October 14, 2019

Praise to the Lord God forever!

Praise be to the Lord God, the God of Israel,
who alone does marvelous deeds.
Praise be to his glorious name forever;
may the whole earth be filled with his glory.
Amen and Amen. (Psalm 72: 18-19)

Encouraging words of David that are given to us in the Book of Psalms...my favorite book when times are shaky and when my soul trembles.  

Today, as I sat at a hospital waiting room, fretting, yet again, about medical testing, I found refuge in the Word of God contained in this Holy Book.  One thing that jumped at my eyes was a little note at the end of Psalm 72: "This concludes the prayers of David son of Jesse."  I don't think I ever saw that in there before.  I know that there are some other psalms written by David after this one, but somehow, it was important to state this line at the conclusion of the first 72 songs...I wonder why?

At any rate, the line just caused me to read the last couple of verses with more care ...and yes, it is impossible to perceive the flow of praises coming through the pen of the king.  David wrapped up these collection of psalms with great exaltation. What a wonderful way to finish!  How many thousands of years later, his words are still infusing encouragement, praise, worship and hope into the hearts of those who go to this book searching for comfort and peace.

As I walk out of the waiting room, with good news of things that should not worry me, I read the verses again, and join in King David's joy:  Praise be to the Lord God, indeed! For His glorious name lives forever!  Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.