Thursday, September 10, 2020

Sealed

 I don't know about you, but there is SO much about Scripture that I don't understand.  I mean...I understand the words.  I just don't understand the meaning of many of the ideas presented.

Often I arrive at passages that leave me completely confused...dumbfounded...and even scared.  Such is the case of 1 Samuel 16: 14

Now the Spirit of the Lord had departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord tormented him.

Yep... a shaky question mark on the margin of my old Bible notes my confusion when I come across verses like this one.

What is this all about?  God sends evil spirits to his people?

I'm no teologian...or nothing of the like.  Therefore, I cannot even attempt to explain any of this.  All I can do is meditate on it and read what experts have to say...so I can meditate some more...and pray.

So far, I have encountered an explanation of this passage that seems pretty important, valid and common throughout several commentaries.  The main point of this verse is that nothing happens without the Lord's permission.  The Lord allows things to come into our lives to fulfill the plan He has for us.  And, another main point of the events depicted from verses 14 to 23 is to remind us that we do have free will...which often causes us to make decisions and perform actions that are contrary to God's will...therefore, consequences are expected accordingly.

Saul's actions of disobedience had grieved the Lord, and Chapter 16, verses 14-23 are the consequences of those acts of disobedience...disobedience that not even sacrifices could erase... (1 Samuel 15)


But Samuel replied:

“Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
as much as in obeying the Lord?
To obey is better than sacrifice,
and to heed is better than the fat of rams.
For rebellion is like the sin of divination,
and arrogance like the evil of idolatry.
Because you have rejected the word of the Lord,
he has rejected you as king.” (1 Samuel 15: 22-23)

It was now time for Saul to endure the consequences of the decisions made out of rebellion and arrogance.  The plan of God included Saul to be King for a season...now, that season was over.  And God would rise a new King...David...who, eventually, would pave the way for the One True and Only King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Jesus the Christ!

It is not about us.  In the end, it is all about God, His Glory and His Perfect Plan for humanity.  We are part of it.  However, often, we decide we don't want to do our part.  Then, the plan moves forward without us...and we miss out.

The New Covenant with Christ, though, has changed things a bit.  As the people of God under the Blood of Jesus, we are sealed by the Holy Spirit, which empowers us to rebuke and resist the devil so it flees (James 4: 7).  The power of David's harp has been replaced by the power of the Holy Spirit in us.  It is not David's playing what brings us peace now.  It is the Holy Spirit Himself, making music in our soul, what fills our heart with worship and pulls out of the pit, our distraught minds...giving us peace and comfort as He reminds us of His constant presence...

I do not understand all there is to be understood about the Bible...and I never will...at least not on this side of Heaven.  But I do know, believe and accept by faith that:

In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory. (Ephesians 1: 13-14)

I praise You, Dear Lod, that nothing can separate me from your infinite love...not even my own actions, and that I am sealed and set apart to reside in Your Court forever.  In the Precious Name of Jesus.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.