Thursday, June 3, 2021

Follow Him


Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. 1 Peter 2: 12

"I open the door for a girl today..." Dylan said as he was getting into my car when I went to pick him up after open-gym last week. "When she asked if someone could help her, nobody moved...I looked at the other guys and they didn't move. It's like they froze. Then, I got up and open it for her, and she said, 'thank you VERY much'..." He was proud and excited. I said, "good job, Dylan, always be ready to help, be a gentleman. Girls like that, even if society tells them they don't..." I was thinking in my head, "you should not have waited until she asked for help"...but...I have to pick my battles, I guess... "She will remember that, I guarantee it," I told him.  He felt good about it, especially because he thought that small action might have gotten him bonus points in the 'guys-to-keep-in-mind-for-possible-dates' score-card... I know...well, he is almost 16, so what am I going to do, right?

Anyway, reading 1 Peter 2: 12 made me think of this incident.  How do we live our lives in front of the pagans who deny God? How do we live out our faith as Christians in a society that tries to erase any trace of the Judeo-Christian values that constitute the foundations of this nation? How do we remain faithful as we witness the inevitable collapse of our country?

We have to do our part.  But, what's our part?

I think our job is to make sure we share our beliefs with those within our circle of influence and make an effort to live our lives in a way that demonstrate our faith:  let our actions be a reflection of Christ to those who watch us.  The problem is: do we have what it takes to live like this?

I fail over and over and over again.  My good deeds are lacking and my mouth is silent. In my fear of stepping on a mine as I walk on the mine-field that is my life, I freeze.  I don't want to be accused of doing wrong because that would jeopardize my position and our financial stability.  It's like I forget that I have been set free for often I feel as if I'm a slave to the pagans...and I'm ashamed of it...

What can I do?

18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 20 At once they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4: 18-20

Follow Him. That's what we must do: continue to follow Him regardless of the consequences.  Empowered by the Holy Spirit, follow Him. Covered by His Love, follow Him.  Strengthened by His Power, follow Him.  Offering our weaknesses as a sacrifice, follow Him.  Giving Him our failures and our disappointing deeds, follow Him. Remembering not to be anxious about our future, follow Him. Trusting His provision, follow Him. Being willing to take that small step to open the door for someone in need, follow Him. Surrendered at the foot of the Cross in all our weakness, follow Him. 

I don't know if Dylan will get high points in the girl-scoreboard ever...but I hope he is always ready to take that step of faith that will lead him to follow Him and to bring some light into this dark, dark world.  As for me...I trust the Holy Spirit will push me to where I need to be.  In the Precious Name of the One We Follow, Jesus Christ, Our Lord and Leader.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.