Thursday, September 30, 2021

Wise Words

 Reading through the Book of Proverbs is always...interesting...I forget how many of them deal with one of the biggest problem areas of most bodies, mine for sure: the mouth.

Some are very profound and deep...others are rather funny.  Chapter 18 has a nice selection of them.  Take Proverbs 18: 6, for instance:

The lips of fools bring them strife,
and their mouths invite a beating.


I chuckle when I read it because I don't know how many times I've told Dylan versions of this. I keep telling him, "one of these days...you are going to get punched on the face, boy!" He doesn't believe me. Actually, people outside our house can't fathom Dylan being a "smart mouthed" kid. He is very careful when he is in public. But at home...ugh! He sure invites a beating on a daily basis!

Dylan is not the only one with a "mouth-malfunction" in this household, though...actually, I'm the reigning queen of that country. Rather, I'm the fool so often mentioned in Proverbs...I'm the fool with "mouth-problems."

The mouths of fools are their undoing,
and their lips are a snare to their very lives. (Proverbs 18: 7)

Totally me.

This one is me too...though, I'm not sure I know what it means?

The words of a gossip are like choice morsels;
they go down to the inmost parts. (Proverbs 18: 8)


I keep re-reading it, and the one thing that keeps coming to mind is...LOL..."gossip makes me fat!!" It goes to my thighs! Ha, ha! However, I think it might have something to do with that, after all. See, gossip could be addictive, like M&Ms or Doritos (both "choice morsels" in my pantry). Once I start eating these things, I can't stop! And yes, they go straight to my thighs and other inner parts. Indulging in gossip is like indulging in these items that don't really contribute to anything good in our bodies, except a short delight of the senses. In the end, gossip, like M&Ms turn me into something I don't want to be.

And, of course, there's this one:

To answer before listening—
that is folly and shame. (Proverbs 18: 13)


Anyone in my house: "You don't let me talk. Let me finish!"

Me: "I know what you're going to say...so..."

I'm always ready with the whip of my tongue to slash others even before they have had a chance to say what they wanted to say. I don't listen. I react...then...maybe...I might, perhaps, let them talk...if I feel like it. The folly of a fool.

Proverbs 18: 21 is very convicting,

The tongue has the power of life and death,
and those who love it will eat its fruit.


Once again, the weird association of words with food. It's no wonder one of those popular sayings warns: "watch out! You'll have to eat your words." What are we eating, according to Proverbs? The fruit of the tongue is either life or death. A few choice words, and we can build up, bring life with our words...or.... we can destroy, crush, defeat, kill all the same.

King Solomon, the writer of Proverbs, was known for his riches and for his wisdom. He said that words are deep waters, but wisdom is a rushing stream (Proverbs 18: 4). Deep waters are scary and dangerous. They can engulf a soul and drown a life in seconds. The rushing stream of wisdom, on the contrary, refreshes and brings life, removing death with its constant movement. Only wisdom can turn words into life. Careless words have the power to bring death.

The Holy Spirit is the One Who can turn our deep, scary and dangerous waters into rushing streams of life. May He transform our tongue so only wise words may escape. In the Precious Name of Jesus, The Word in Whom we trust. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.