Saturday, January 22, 2022

God is Faithful

...remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants forever,
just as he promised our ancestors.” Luke 1: 54b-55

I avoid making promises.  It is very, very rarely that anyone would hear me say: "I promise," to anything.  I know myself.  I'm too fickle.  And people love to rub unfulfilled promises on one's face...so I avoid making any, so I don't have to hear anyone saying to me:  "but you promised!"  When Dylan tries to pull that one on me (he doesn't do it much any more because it has never worked), my customary reply is: "No I didn't.  I never promised you anything!"

Thank Goodness Our God is an Awesome God, who is Faithful beyond measure!  Although He knows humans are fickle, He does not share this trait with us.  Praise the Lord!

A commentary I read about these last verses in Mary's song stated how she was confident that God fulfills the promises which had been spoken to the Patriarchs and specifically the covenant promises to Abraham and to his seed forever. The commentary continues saying how by mentioning Abraham and his seed Mary is proclaiming a reminder of God’s promise to send the Messiah through the seed of Abraham (Gen 12:1-3; 17:19; 22:18; 26:4; 28:14). And that Mary believes that God will fulfill this covenant promise through the baby in her womb.

Mary is reminding herself and all who would read her song in Luke chapter 1 from that moment on, that Our Lord is Merciful and Faithful.  She is reminding herself and us that He will take care of her and us forever, for He Who Promised is Trustworthy. 

I am grateful for the reminder.  I am thankful that I don't have to judge God's designs by my own actions...for, I don't want to enter into any promises to save my own face, but God promises to save our souls.

Regardless of our circumstances, may we, like Mary, always remember...

God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent; Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? Numbers 23: 19


Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10: 23


God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. 
1 Corinthians 1: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.