Monday, April 17, 2023

Extending Mercy

 "Please, Mom...have mercy on me.  Remember.  Jesus says to have mercy..."

Insert big eye-roll and deep sigh...

Kids are really good at manipulation.  I don't know how many times Dylan has pulled this one on me.  My students do this all the time as well. Of course they don't invoke Jesus, but they do play on the sob stories to get away with missing due dates.  I get really tired of it.  When they do this, they want to take advantage of me, and it infuriates me.  I don't give in easily.  I mean, really...the least they can do is grovel, right?

However, Dylan is right.  Jesus did say: Be merciful just as your Father is merciful. (Luke 6: 36)

I have to admit, though, I struggle with that.  I'm so full of pride that when I sense someone is taking advantage of me or when I feel like people think I'm an idiot, I react rather harshly.  I tend to not give others the benefit of the doubt or so I've been told...mostly by Dan.  He tells me things like: "You always assume the worst!" or "We need to extend a little bit of grace to others." He reminds me about it...constantly...ugh...

And...he is right...sigh...

We are called to extend grace and mercy to others...just as we have received it from Our Heavenly Father in abundance.  Colossians 3: 1-17 is a comprehensive explanation of how as Christians, we have been made new by Jesus, and as such, we ought to live lives that reflect the mercy of Our Lord.  We are supposed to do everything, "in word or deed" in the name of Jesus.  As His ambassadors, we need to reflect who He is, and He is Mercy!

Today has brought plenty of opportunities for me to extend grace to students...just as I was extended grace and mercy in the speedy delivery of good medical test results.  As I examine my responses to students...I am ashamed to say I haven't been as merciful and prompt in my responses as the Lord was to deliver me from my anguished wait.  Now that I look back...I better take another good look at Colossians 3: 1-17 so I allow the Holy Spirit to work these words in me all the way to the core of my soul.

May we receive the mercy of understanding so we can learn how to walk on the way of Jesus.  In His Precious Name.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.