Monday, April 3, 2023

How Can It Be?

 I read a beautifully written study on the biblical truth expressed in the hymn "And Can It Be That I Should Gain?" by Charles Wesley, one of the fathers of the Methodist church.  Charles Wesley wrote about 6,000 hymns some of which are song across denominations from Christmas to Easter and everything in between.  Among the most famous of Wesley's hymns we have "Christ the Lord is Risen Today" the quintessential Easter song and "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" its Christmas counterpart.  

Though "And Can It Be That I Should Gain?" is not as universally recognized as the above mentioned, it is a most profound reflection on what Jesus truly did for us.  It is where Christmas and Easter collide.  It is a scandalous meditation on the impact of the Incarnation and the Crucifixion.   Like the writer of the devotional I read today said, "This hymn expresses old truths being perceived anew, amid surprise and astonishment.  Indeed, Wesley's words of faith are expressed in questions of "unbelief" - of incomprehension, amazement.  "how could this be true? How could the sacrifice of Christ apply not only to others but to me?"

And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Savior's blood
Died He for me, who caused His pain
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be
That Thou, my God, should die for me?

And then, the song's repeated underlying question-a vast and cosmic one - a question about the Incarnation and the Cross, about Christmas and Easter,

Amazing love! How can it be
That Thou, my God, should die for me?

('Tis Mystery All! by J. Todd Billings in The Wondrous Cross.  Reflections on Christ's Sacrifice Drawn from the Songs and Hymns of Easter.)

And that is the question: who am I to be loved by God?

I do not deserve Him.  I do not deserve Him making such a precious sacrifice for me.  I am the worst sinner.  I am one of His accusers.  I am one of His deniers.  How could He want me to the point of dying for me?

I don't know.

All I know is that, "...God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Roman 5: 8 And that includes you and me.

It's a mystery, indeed-A blessed mystery for which I am eternally grateful- It is the mystery of His Saving Grace, and I don't question it, I surrender to it and praise Him.  In His Awe-Inspiring Name, in wonder and bewilderment I pray.  Amen!



No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.