Monday, July 29, 2024

Chapter 3 of the Book Winning the War on Worry

 I cannot believe that it has been almost 3 months since the last time I posted anything. It has been an eventful summer, both good and not-so-good. I've enjoyed many blessings but I have also been immersed in deep worry. And today, as I was, once again, falling into the trap that fear sets in front of me every time, I remembered...All things are possible with God! (Matthew 19: 26) ... even winning the war on worry.

So let me pick up where I left off: the beginning of chapter 3.

Author and Pastor, Louie Giglio reminds us in this chapter how control and fear are at the root of worry. I think, the fear of losing control is significant here as well. If you think about it, we just like life to go the way we plan it. And when it doesn't, or when it seems like it won't...we begin to worry because we fear the unknown. Unknown means out of our control...therefore, we worry.

I am not a big planner. I know it is hard to believe, but I do not spend countless hours scheduling the minutia or even the big things of life. I'm too lazy for that. I do plan, don't get me wrong, but I have seen what real, hard-core planners are like...and I am NOT one of them. Dylan is. He is obsessed with detailed planning. For example, when we go on vacation, he plans every single outfit he will wear every single day. One time I had to yell at him for using all my gallon-size Ziplock bags to organize his daily get ups. I was sooooo mad when I went to look for ONE and there were NONE left in a box I had recently purchased. Me on the other hand, I throw in my suitcase a bunch of pieces that I know go together and hope when I'm there, I can concoct a few basic outfits that look presentable and comfortable (while making sure there is a washing/dryer combo at the place where we're staying at, 'cause I tend to under pack).

Anyway...Dylan gets terribly upset when plans change. Back to traveling, he makes me repeat over and over and over again what we have planned to do at the place we're visiting, until he memorizes it. I even have to tell him when we have planned, nothing...so he can mark it as "free time" in his mental calendar. The year we took him to Guatemala, we were not in control of the itinerary so a couple of months in advance I had to start the conversations with him about the need for him to grasp the concept of "going with the flow." I thought it was super ironic that I was the one promoting the idea of "going with the flow" when I am notoriously the least "flowy" person anyone around me has ever met (I am just filled with contradictions).

At any rate, Pastor Giglio says that we are called to be good stewards, which in turn means, we are supposed to plan. Good stewardship/planning, however, does not need to include a microscopic analysis of every "what if" scenario that could possibly happen in the future. We consider some of them, perhaps the most obvious, and we let the rest go to God's hands, where ultimately every plan must reside. He mentions how getting stuck on the "what ifs" will actually paralyze us with fear because we realize how ill-equipped we are to deal with all of them...therefore, we get "stuck on a stream of worry." (35)

Giglio says:

It's not wrong to admit that the occasional "what if" can be helpful...every so often when you're building a plan, you need to look ahead. But you can't live there. You can't fixate so much on the ideas of tomorrow that you cease living in the realities of today. Not only is detrimental to your spiritual health, but psychology and sociology have proven that it's actually a large waste of time and effort...because most of the "what ifs" that we project and dwell on don't ever happen." (35) Later he continues, "planning well and steering clear from worry means that we embrace the mentality of I'll cross that bridge when I get to it." (37) He adds, "planning focuses on the present and on what is in your hands, while occasionally looking ahead to factor in what is to come. Worry fixates on the future, while occasionally circling back to work on what is currently in front of you." (34)

And that's why worry gets me, not because I am a frantic planner who needs to schedule even her visits to the "el baño," but because the toxicity of worry gets to me due to the fact that I keep looking at the future, crossing bridges ahead of time, fixating on the fact that I won't be able to handle the eventualities and the realized "what ifs" because I'm not strong enough (or even because I haven't planned accordingly). I believe the lie that says we are alone in the storm...so when it hits...I KNOW I'm going to perish for sure because I know I am not strong enough.

The truth is, we ARE NOT ALONE. 

We do not have to face the storm all on our own.

We don't have to rely only on our puny strength.

God, the Lord Almighty is with us always. (Isaiah 41: 10) and so is Jesus (Matthew 28: 20). Not only He controls the storm (Mark 4: 39) but He speaks to us out of it (Job 38: 1)...and even though with man things are not all possible, NOTHING is impossible with God, (Matthew 19: 26). And He also doesn't give us more than we can handle. Pastor Giglio points out beautifully how this is present in the parable of the talents, when in Matthew 25: 15 Jesus says, "to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each according to his own ability." How did I miss that last part? I can't believe I never truly saw that last phrase, "to each according to his own ability." I just love the Word of God and how it becomes new every day.

He also sends His angels to guard us (Psalm 91: 11-12)...and I don't just mean the celestial beings...I mean, God puts people in our lives to do His work in us as well. He sends His every-day-angels to minister to us and to walk with us and to lift us up...

Pastor Giglio's closing words in this chapter are most powerful:

"God puts things into your hands according to your ability and His power to work in and through you. If He's entrusted it to you, you can carry it. If He's calling you to it, He will be faithful and help you through it." (38) Even if we mess up and believe we are failing...He who began a good work in us will see it to completion. (Philippians 1: 6)

God is Good and Merciful...so I know that whether we want to plan every detail to make sure we have fashionable outfits for every occasion, or just want to make every day an adventure, He's got us covered and His patience is limitless. All we have to do is remember to place all our plans, tight or loose, at the feet of the Cross and trust He takes care of us.

PRAYER:

Father, I bring to You the things I am concerned about. Help me make wise choices to bring about the best outcomes in every situation. Give me the grace to place what I cannot control into Your hands with confidence and peace. In the Precious Name of Jesus! Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.