Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Chapter 4 of the Book Winning the War on Worry by Louie Giglio

 I love disaster movies. I just enjoy watching them because they usually contain great examples of human ingenuity and resourcefulness. God's marvelous design comes in full display when we are pressed from every side as our brain goes on full alert mode and fires up options to consider when in mortal danger...well...some people's brain, at least. My brain goes straight to panic. So I'm afraid if you are stuck with me in a dangerous situation, you're going to have to be the one with the impressive display of brain power, because me...I'm going to be hysterically and blindly screaming my lungs out, paralyzed in fear, curled into a ball. 

Anyway, that's another reason I like watching disaster movies, because I'm hoping to learn something useful. Like, for example, I love to watch and re-watch the movie San Andreas, starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Yes, I also enjoy watching that movie because of The Rock, I know, you got me. BUT, my favorite part is when the earth starts shaking again, and The Rock moves all the people to lean against the side wall of the stadium. Once the earthquake stops, everyone is safe even though there was much collapsing of structures, then the one person asks him, how did he know what to do. The Rock's character, who is an emergency helicopter pilot replied something like, "you find something sturdy to lean against and brace yourself." 

Well, chapter 4 of the book Winning the War on Worry by Pastor Louie Giglio talks about how it is key to invite God into our worry. To illustrate this, Pastor Giglio quotes Philippians 4:6, Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. This is a command, but beyond that, it is a guide to handling worry. I know, hearing the first part is like, "sure...do not be anxious...do not worry...yeah...that'll happen." But if we keep reading, it tells us what to do instead or when we feel the sting of fear and worry on the back of our spine: PRAY! And what is prayer? It is our invitation to God to be a part of our lives, good and bad and ugly. 

The best part is the result of this invitation: PEACE! 

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4: 7

What a blessing! Countering worry with prayer results in a peace so amazing that it is incomprehensible. And this peace is promised if we abide/dwell in Our Great God. If we disconnect from our distractions and remain close to the vine that is Jesus, turning our attention to Him in prayer, worry turns into peace like water turned into wine by the sole presence of Our Lord in the room. 

A practical and effective way that Pastor Giglio offers in his book to staying connected to Jesus especially in our times of worry and fear, is a simple breathing exercise. He tells us to exhale/breathe out a lie caused by worry, whatever it is, and inhale/breathe in an affirmation or a promise of God. For example, he says, we can exhale, "I am alone." And then, we can inhale, "God is with me always." We can customize this to fit our situation and try it whenever the cold shivers of fear start creeping up and down our soul. It is a good way to refocus our attention on the One Who Calms the Storm as supposed to keeping it on the waves and the winds. It is a way to remember that God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble (Psalm 46: 1). It is how we find our "sturdy" place when the earth begins to move.

As I walk through valleys filled with the darkness of worry and fear, I will try to remember the triangle of life, Our Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the sturdiest place ever available for us to lean against in our times of earthquakes and storms. 

Thank you, Lord for reminding us that You are bigger than anything that afflicts us in this world. You have overcome, and so shall we by Your grace, presence and strength. In The Precious Name of Jesus, we pray. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.