Monday, August 5, 2013

Does Greener Grass Happen Magically?


Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose. 
Philippians 2: 12-13


Very recently we moved to a new house in a pretty nice development. After living in a more country-rural setting for many years, this has been quite the adjustment. The biggest change has been facing the reality that the grass is literally greener on the other side of the fence…

Previously, we lived in one acre of rather wild and woodsy land where dandelions grow freely and weeds and grass cohabited together peacefully during spring and summer before they get covered by leaves and snow in autumn and spring. Now, however, it’s a different story. The smaller lawn only admits nice, green, well-manicured grass…

The previous owners didn't....how shall I say this politely…cared for the lawn much at all, so our yard sticks out like a sore pinky finger among the rest of the well-kept, bright-green “grasses” around. In simple terms, ours was really sorry looking when we moved in. 


I quickly realized the beauty of the scene didn't come magically. Our next door neighbor, for instance, is relentless! Armed with mower and trimmer, he faces the task with utmost tenacity, bravado AND frequency. Nothing better get on his way, or he’ll give it a clean shave! Then I found out that the neighbor on the back owns a landscaping service and that he often cares for the neighboring yards. 

We haven’t been able to bring our tractor here yet (yes, I did say tractor…) so when I saw our landscaping neighbor outside I went and talked to him about our situation. It was an education! After discovering the intricate lingo of yard-care-products involved in creating and maintaining a good looking lawn…sigh…I said yes to him taking care of ours for a while. I was tired of our yard being the least green around.

It only took a few weeks of our grass being at the care of professional hands when I began to see the difference. My husband, did too…in the budget! It takes time, effort and money to get the yard looking as green as the one on the other side of the fence!

So it is not that I want to keep up with the proverbial “Joneses” (though the Joneses I know have a pretty charmed life : ) LOL! But I just want to do the best I can with what God has given me. I want to offer Him my very best in return for what He has so graciously allowed me to manage while on this earth. I want to be a good steward. Not just of my yard, but of all the gifts He decided to present me with. He endowed me with those for a purpose, and I want to fulfill such purpose to the best of my ability. How do I do that? I truly believe all I need “to do” is say yes! He will do the rest. Even if I have NO clue what my gift(s) is/are, my part is to have a willing heart. He will lead the way.

Funny how the brain works, huh? I don’t even know how I ended here from thinking about my yard? The Holy Spirit does work in mysterious ways, indeed! The one thing I do know is that next time I feel like the grass is greener on the other side of the fence I will remember that it is not by magic…it is by the product of a significant investment of effort, dedication and resources. So if I want mine to look just as green, I must get off my back and do something about it…I have been gifted with abilities that will promote the beauty of my lawn…the ability of not being shy about going over our monthly budget : ) Likewise, I have been blessed with spiritual gifts, and I don’t want to be lazy. I want to get off my back and discover what I get to do with them so I can diligently use them for His glory and for the service of my neighbors!

The LORD will fulfill [his purpose] for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever-- do not abandon the works of your hands. 
Psalm 138: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.