Monday, August 19, 2013

True Freedom Is Found In Truth

I am tired of being afraid. Some days and especially some nights I feel consumed by worry and an unsettle sensation in my stomach paralyzes me. Instead, I want to be consumed by the fire of God which burns through the thick brush and weeds that entangle me so I can move freely again. I want to be free, like He promised. “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.” (Galatians 5: 1) Well, I want to experience that freedom permanently!

I know of it in my mind. Now, I need to know it in my soul and trust it in my heart. How do I do that? I need to remember the truth: "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8: 31-32 Then, like Pilate I ask: “What is truth?” (John 18: 38) This question that has puzzled philosophers over the millenniums takes us full circle back to Christ: Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.” (John 18: 37) In reality we see how Jesus answered Pilate’s question even before he asked it.

-“what is truth?”

-“I AM Truth!”

No wonder Jesus didn’t reply to Pilate, there was no need for it. Jesus had already replied. Jesus had replied right before and way before, when He said: “I am the way, the truth and the life.” John 14: 6 Obviously Pilate had not been listening then and was not listening now while having Truth right in front of his face, staring back into his eyes. Pilate was not on the side of truth; therefore, he could not hear Jesus’ voice, which in turn is truth itself. It is a marvelous and unbreakable circle!

This is the truth that will set me free. Knowing Truth, knowing Jesus, will set me free…nothing else.

 “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.” 
2 Corinthians 3: 17

He has made me/us free! Let us not waste this freedom by remaining enslaved to our old yokes. We have been brought into the freedom of being children of God. Let us rejoice in that truth. We are free from the law of sin and death! We are free, indeed! We are free and in that freedom we realize that the same is found in surrendering to Him who sets us free. Yet another circular motion, we are set free from sin and eternal death by becoming His!

But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. Romans 6: 22

Why fear then? Circumstances do not determine my destiny. From God’s perspective, I am already there. The struggles of this life are just that…life. We have to go through them. But we can use them in a productive way. We can use them as our spiritual offering which we lay down at the foot of the cross as our sacrifice and thank offering for our undeserved freedom.

I don’t want to be afraid anymore. I am tired of it. I am going to trust the Truth which has already set me free!

Linking with The Better MomMoms The WordThe Alabaster Jar

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.