Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Jesus Speaks to Women: At the Home of Martha and Mary



38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10: 38-42

Continuing our journey through the Gospels, trying to comment on all instances of interactions between Jesus and fellow sisters, we arrive today at one of my absolute favorite spots: the encounter with Martha and Mary...sigh...

Much have been said about this passage.  I, myself, have written quite a bit on the sisters... a quick search in my blog for Martha and Mary will yield tons of entries.  But the Word of God is a living thing, always new...always fresh.  So, let's see what it tells us this time.

As I have mentioned before, I tend to identify more with Martha.  I'm the distracted woman who is always running around in circles because there is so much to do.  However, I'm not the stereotypical Martha, because I am terribly disorganized.  To me, Martha is the quintessential organizational queen.  Kind of like Marie Kondo, you know her?  The Japanese woman who has made a fortune out of "greeting the house," making people feel miserable about the amount of clothes they have, and telling folks to get rid of their books?   Well, when I think of Martha, I think of that type of person: attentive to detail, each thing in its place, and a place for each thing, rather minimalistic, and always in control.  I. AM. NONE. OF. THAT!

Often I think the reason I'm so busy all the time is because I'm a horrible organizer.  Like, for example, now: the semester is starting tomorrow, and today, I'm already losing my head because I have so much to do.  The e-mail bombarding has started and I don't even know where to begin.  Who do I reply first: my boss or my students?  What do I tackle as a priority: the departmental assessment issues or the individualized instruction assignment calendar? What do I take care of now: compiling a list of short readings for conversation sessions or a problem with the online assignments for my beginners class?

I have to do all of those things, probably today...but I have no clue how...and I'm feeling overwhelmed!

That's why I decided to finish this post that I started this morning instead...

I mean...is that why Martha felt overwhelmed too?  Could it be that, her inability to organize her priorities is what brought her to complain to Jesus about Mary?  I'm telling you, right now...if I were to see someone in my family just chillin', as I'm pulling my hair out in frustration with my to-do list, I would burst!  I'd be certainly yelling...and probably saying stuff like, "doesn't anybody care!???!!!"

Sigh...

So...I wonder, if little miss wonderful, Martha was not as much as Marie Kondo as I was imagining...hmmm...I wonder if she isn't more like...me?

I think if Martha were a leader in organization, she probably wouldn't be so frustrated with her sister.  I bet the answer is in Jesus' words for her.  Let's listen to Him again:

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10: 41-42

I LOVE the "Martha, Martha..."

Boy, have I heard:  "Gisela, Gisela..." a million times in my life... but you know what? In every instance, every time I've gotten a "Gisela, Gisela," it has been from people who are very, intensely and deeply dear to me.  I remember my Dad, my Mom, Rosa and actually, all the people who really TRULY love me being the ones risking the "Gisela, Gisela" bit.  

Sigh...

That's why I see Jesus' love for Martha and concern for her well-being, pouring out in His words towards her.  I also see Jesus' organizational tips flowing as well:  "you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed...or indeed only one."  If that is not the best tip on prioritization, I don't know what is:  find the ONE thing that is really important, and do that first.  Weed out the other stuff that worries you and upsets you, and focus on what's truly important: ME!  The Great I AM!  I AM the ONE thing that is worth all of our concentration! And Mary, in her free-spirited soul has chosen Me, and nobody is going to take that away from her...no matter how many loaves of bread don't get baked or how much water still needs to be brought in from the well. 

I don't think Marie Kondo or any of the tons of self-help books out there in the market could ever put it so succinctly:   "Seek. Jesus. First!"

I have to get back to my to-do list now, but I pray that, whatever I do, that I remember there is only ONE thing that is needed:  My relationship with Christ.  May the Holy Spirit guide us as we seek Him first and seek a well-balanced/organized life.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.