Sunday, January 13, 2019

Jesus Speaks to Women: Peace, Faith and Forgiveness


50 And he said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.” Luke 7: 50

The power of Jesus' words shook those reclining at the table with Him, the woman who received them as well as whoever reads them through the centuries.  He is the Word Made Flesh (John 1: 14) and what He speaks comes into being, so the woman's sins were forgiven, indeed, hence the last three words:  "go in peace."  

Is it hard for you to "go in peace"?  Peace is so elusive for me.  It was my "word" for 2018, but I know that for me to attain true peace it will take more than a year.  For people like me, peace seems just too far away.  Why is that?  I don't know.  Perhaps, because I listen too much to fear constantly shouting in my ears.  Maybe because I'm a control freak.  Or...might it be because I lack faith?

It pains me to admit it...but I think that's the case:  I have a shaky faith.  It tends to crumble and falter at the slightest sign of hardship.  When life takes a turn that I was not expecting,  my faith stals.  Actually, there doesn't even need to be a turn...just the fear of the possibility of a potential turn being remotely coming makes me quake in my boots...sigh...pathetic, I know...

But, what is faith?

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 
Hebrews 11: 1

And, how do we get it?

Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ. Romans 10: 17

But, what is it based on?

so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God's power. 1 Corinthians 2: 5

And, that's why Jesus says:

“Have faith in God. 23 Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him.24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25 And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.” Mark 11: 22-25

Jesus is God, and this sinful woman had faith in Him, which means that she was confident that His power is sufficient to give her assurance of His forgiveness, and as she heard Him speak to her, her confidence rested on His power to do what He said He'd do; therefore, she had peace...

It's complicated, I know, but what I want to take away is that faith does not rest on me or on the wisdom or power of anyone in the world.  Faith is wholly dependent on the power of God and His power is limitless, so even mountains would obey and jump into the ocean at His command.  The thing is, however, that the prayer of faith must be accompanied by forgiveness.  Jesus states it, in verses 24-25 in Mark 11.  As we pray and lift our petitions to Him, we need to do an introspection:  who do I need to forgive?  And actually, forgive.

Yeah...that's another biggie for me...

I'm too proud and forgiveness evades me.  I hold grudges.  My memory is very long when it comes to remembering offenses.  My ego is too fragile and I don't recover easily when someone crushes it.  I think too highly of myself, so, I demand respect, and when I don't get it, I hold it against them...

Sigh...

I think I need to pause here right now and continue to ponder because this text is so rich, I don't want to get confused.  For now, I pray that the Lord in His great mercy, would look upon us with love and forgive our trespassess as we forgive those who have committed trespasses against us.   Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.