Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Jesus Speaks to Women: Witnessing

55 The women who had come with Jesus from Galilee followed Joseph and saw the tomb and how his body was laid in it. 56 Then they went home and prepared spices and perfumes. But they rested on the Sabbath in obedience to the commandment. Luke 23: 55-56

There aren't any speeches in this passage...Jesus is being buried...the only thing that remains is a sense of loss.

The disciples fled.

The crowds dispersed.

The temple shook.

The curtain is torn.

The women?  They followed and stayed for as long as they could.  They witnessed.  In silence, they witnessed how Joseph of Arimathea placed the lifeless body of Our Lord in his unused tomb.  They witnessed the body as it was laid in it.  I'm sure, had they been allowed by the law, they would have stayed, but the Sabbath was upon them, and in obedience, they rested.  However, before the commanded rest was imposed, they diligently prepared the spices and perfumes they would be bringing back to the tomb for The Lord.  Little did they know...

I want to stand as a witness too!  I want to never go to far from Him.  I want to always remember His Words to me and treasure them in my soul, so they can sustain me in times of silence.  Even when all seems lost and hopelessness threatens to fill my heart, I want to remain in Him...for, with Him, all things are possible!

Dear Lord, make me a faithful witness of Your glory regardless of my feelings and circumstances.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.