Monday, May 13, 2019

Mother's Day Blues

Yesterday was Mother's Day in the USA, and as holidays go...this one can be super lovely or super awful.

Thankfully for me, it is lovely because I have two wonderful sons that make my heart beat like a drum.  But I am all too aware of those who experience the sting of loss this day. 

There are many reasons sadness, melancholy, grief and depression may sink in on a day like Mother's Day.  Loss has many shapes.  The most common are:
1. Loss of one's own Mother
2. Loss of a child
3. Loss of the ability of ever having a child
4. Loss of the hope of ever having a child
5. Loss of the hope of ever having a healthy relationship with one's Mother or child'

I know there are many other reasons to experience the Mother's Day Blues...but these are the ones I'm more familiar with, because, one way or another, I've experienced them all.

My Mother has been gone for 19 years.
I once lost a pregnancy that cost me dearly to achieve.
I can't have children anymore...
I once lost the hope of ever having children.
I have someone dear in my life who is trapped in the pit of a toxic relationship with her own Mother.

There isn't much we can do to soothe someone else's hurt and sense of loss when it revolves the area of motherhood...except for loving them.  Showering with love those who are in pain in days like these is the best thing anyone can do.  Manifesting to them the fact that they are not alone by a quiet gesture may bring comfort to someone who feels devastatingly lonely.  Lifting a fervent prayer on their behalf, offering silent company and awareness of our unconditional presence are mighty gifts when we don't know what else to do.

I pray that the loving presence of the Mighty Comforter, the Holy Spirit, is renewed and overwhelmingly evident in the lives of those who, for one reason or another, feel the sting of another Mother's Day...Amen!




No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.