Monday, January 20, 2020

Beauty out of Ashes


God can work greatness out of messes, beauty out of ashes...I love to think about this. This promise is one of my favorite because it gives me hope.  I look at my life, and the trail of messes and ashes I've left behind so far is too noticeable for me to be able to hide.  Therefore, reading and pondering what Isaiah says in chapter 61 gives me the necessary boost to keep on going trusting that My Lord is by my side,

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty,
instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the Lord
for the display of his splendor.  (Isaiah 61: 1-3)

In a day in age when the news ressemble, perhaps, those that might have been reported by the town crier in Sodom and Gomorrah, we tend to despair.  The world seems to be sinking in its own filth, and the people of God don't know what to do.  Brothers against brothers, sisters against sisters, parents against children, children against parents, parents against parents, nations against nations, how is it all going to end?

The fallen state of humanity is really evident, and we think it's the worst it's ever been...but, is it?  Isn't it just a case of how history repeats?  Ever since Genesis, right after the Lord declared His creation as "Good" it all seemed to have been steadily going downhill...or is it that it sank into the abyss at once, and it has not climbed out, but just seen moments when the rays of light have reached the bottom with its brightness making us think we are ascending, only to find out we are still in the darkness of the pit...?

I know...I've woken up in a fun mood today, haven't I?  Actually, I have!  That's why I want to focus my eyes on the promise of hope in Isaiah rather than on the self-inflicted destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.  I want to hang on to the Word that says that "the Spirit of the Lord is on me!  I hold on for dear life to the truth that proclaims "freedom for the captives, release from darkness, comfort for all who mourn and a crown of beauty instead of ashes" for all who seek Him!

I'm looking forward to living the life of the redeemed rather than the life of the lost...for I am an oak of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor by the grace and mercy of My Lord, Jesus, the Christ and Savior of my soul!  He is a miracle worker, thus, He will know how to turn my ashes into beauty...my messes into greatness...my Sodom and Gomorrah into the New Jerusalem, His Holy Land...in His Precious Name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.