Friday, February 7, 2020

Feeling Superior?

Do you sometimes, look at the women in the Bible and feel all superior, and stuff? or is it just me?  You know what I mean?  For example, say...reading through Genesis, it's easy to think of women like Sarah, Rebecca, Rachel, Potiphar's wife, etc. as plotting, conniving, manipulative, and all around just not very godly people.  Am I right?  It's easy to compare myself to them and start feeling all self-righteous and stuff...the truth, however, is...that I am not all that different from them...not even a little bit...

Sigh...

Lately, I've been going through situations in my workplace which are showing me that I have nothing to feel proud of when it comes to my behavior.  The way I have been reacting to these situations is very revealing of who I really am...and I'm not liking what is been revealed.  The layers are peeling and I'm finding out I'm just an ugly, smelly onion that makes people want to cry.

How many times have I rolled my eyes at Sara and Rebecca for trying to "fix" things?  Or, how about the fact that it always seems to catch me by surprise that Rachel kept hanging on to her family's idols, even after witnessing God's presence and favor?  And that darn Potiphar's wife...Mercy me!  But then...I missed the point of Scripture: to make it clear and evident that there isn't anyone righteous...not even one...not even me.

Perhaps, the scenarios are different: workplace instead of home; but the situation is all too similar:  status and pride.  The idols?  They're there too.  They might not be figurines I can hide under my skirt when I sit on the ground, but they're idols nonetheless.  Ruining someone's life and reputation? Gossiping could do just that.  And I am just as wretched as my sisters in Genesis.

I don't know how to get out of this cycle of darkness I find myself in now...I can't do it on my own.  But I pray the Holy Spirit helps me to start taking the first steps toward an attitude of humility, and helps me stop and change the course I'm on.  It doesn't have to be a huge statement.  It could be small things like, putting the phone away so I don't jump into gossipy replies as soon as I get text message alerts.  I don't have to make a proclamation.  It can be just as simple as keeping my mouth shut and just doing my work.  It doesn't have to be a total makeover show.  It can just be a decision that would bring me back to liking the person I see on the mirror again.

Reading about the women in the Bible, particularly in Genesis is teaching me to read myself and realize I need just as much forgiveness and grace as they do...if not even more.

May the Holy Spirit guide us to walk the path of His righteousness as we humble ourselves in His presence.


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.