Tuesday, July 21, 2020

The Readiness of Peace

...and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. Ephesians 6: 15

I like walking.  It makes me feel purposeful. Some say I walk really fast.  Dylan is always complaining that I leave him behind all the time...hmm...not sure why he'd say that? If anything, he is the one who's always dragging his feet.  Actually, often, everyone seems to move in slow motion.  Why can't people just walk faster?  Especially at the grocery store, what's with the lollygagging? It drives me CRAZY! GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!!

Sigh...

OK...maybe, it might be me...

The truth is that, walking slowly to me is a sign of being lost, and in a way, of not being ready.  I know it's not true.  But, that's how I feel.  I slow down only when I'm not sure where I'm going...and I really dislike that.  I also slow down when I'm not ready, when I'm distracted...and that makes me uncomfortable.  I like the feeling of being in control, knowing exactly where I'm going and how to get there.  I like to feel like I'm ready to just jump and do what I have to do.  I do not like inaction.  Do it now, regret it later!  That's pretty much my motto.  After all, isn't that what this verse is all about? Isn't' Ephesians 6: 15 telling us we must be ready?  Ready to swiftly jump to action?

The image that comes to mind when I read: feet fitted with readiness...is the winged feet logo!

But, then...what about the "gospel of peace?"

We are supposed to be fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace...what is that all about?

I don't know, but somehow, in my mind, the words "peace" and "readiness" do not mesh well.  Readiness to me implies being on the edge.  I think of a sprinter runner: on your marks, ready, set, GO! BOOM! Exploding speed!  The image in my mind does not convey much "peace."  On the contrary, heart pounding adrenaline is what I imagine.  So...I don't get it?

Is Paul trying to tell us that we need peace to be ready?  How is that possible?  I don't understand?

I am not an expert on the concept of peace.  I wonder if that's why I am always so exhausted.  If I am honest with myself, I don't have peace in much of what I do.  I jump right on it, and I do it as fast as I can...because I believe that getting it done is the goal...but...where's the peace?

Maybe the kind of readiness that God wants from me is a different thing.  Maybe He wants the readiness that emerges from knowing that we do not have to do it all...that He is in control, and that all we have to do is trust His Word, which will in turn, develop a sense of peace in our soul that will allow us to be ready for whatever we face...because knowing the Gospel is knowing that He has paid it all, and that all to Him we owe.

I know I am very, very far from experiencing this type of readiness.  But, I do understand now, that I must become as familiar as possible with His Gospel, because the more I read it, the more I know Him, and the more I know Him, the more I trust Him...and the more I trust Him...the more peace flows like a river in my soul.

I guess I better start looking back to make sure I'm not leaving anyone behind...after all, what's the point of being ready and getting it done fast, if...in the end...I'm flustered and alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.