Monday, July 6, 2020

The Struggle is Real

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6: 12

Struggles...wow...that is certainly a concept the entire world has been dealing with during the last 4 months.  I don't have to go into details here. You know what I'm talking about.  You've felt the struggle too.  It seems like the whole world is collapsing...and we are left helplessly broken, to witness it as we crumble with it.  The current situation can very much cloud our days with a sense of hopelessness and negativism that brings us down to a pit of desolation and despair.  

I know...we are supposed to make the best out of what we've got.  We should find the things to be thankful for.  We need to concentrate on the blessings.  I try...but often I fail.

I know that filling my minutes, hours and days with thanksgiving will keep my mind from wandering into its dark corners.  I look out the window and I give thanks for the wonderful, sunny days and blue skies!  I sure do.  I praise God for the magnificent sunsets and glorious mornings.  I am grateful for the air conditioning and for my great patio where I spend most afternoons.  I give thanks a million times to God for keeping me and my loved ones safe, healthy and protected.  I am overflowing with gratitude for the jobs we are still able to do, which are how God provides for our physical needs in a magnificent way.  I am thankful for streaming services and the Internet which keep us entertained as a family.  I am counting my blessings and yes, the discipline is keeping me afloat.  The exercise allows my joy to stick around rather than vanishing in thin air...on most days...

However, there are other days...sigh...

And I wonder why?  

Nothing has changed...why should I feel any different?

Well, I think that's sort of what Paul is talking about in Ephesians 6: 12...our battles are not really our own.  They aren't all against seen enemies either.  We are actually immersed in a spiritual warfare that happens in the realm of the unseen.  It is not a material war in the traditional sense.  It happens in the spiritual world.  However, it impacts the material and the physical realms just the same. It isn't much unlike the stupid virus that is plaguing the world...have you ever thought how much easier it would be if we could actually see it in plain sight??  We would be better able to combat it if we could only see it!  It's the same with the struggle against the spiritual forces of evil:  we can't really see these forces, can we?  But we know they are here, attacking us, ready to implant themselves in our healthy organisms so they can destroy us in one swift blow.

It is very hard to protect ourselves from what we cannot see coming.  

The good news is, we don't have to.  The battle is the Lord's.  We are in it, yes...and there are things we must do, of course.  BUT, He is the Divine Commander.  He is in the Heavenly Realms...we aren't.  That, by itself, tells us how much it is a battle that transcends us.  However, our Heavenly Leader has equipped us with an armor so we can do our part:  to take our stand against the devil's schemes.  

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Ephesians 6: 13

That is our command.  
Now, let's continue to read the instructions as to what this "armor" is all about.  May the Light of the Holy Spirit guide us into the fitting room and show us what to do.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.