Wednesday, July 29, 2020

The Weapon

...and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Ephesians 6: 17b

Have you ever handled a sword?  Ever actually held a sword in your hands...felt its weight...imagined yourself wielding it...using it as a weapon in a fight for your life?

As a mother of boys, I have handled many types of swords: plastic, foam, paper, wooden..swords that light up, shiny swords, noisy swords.  I've stepped into countless battles.  I've confiscated them, hidden them, put them in time-out, broken them, tossed them out, thrown them away, beaten myself over the head for buying them...but, never truly handled a real sword until a few months ago.

The bell rang.  Grant opened the door.  I heard a brief conversation.  Then, I saw my son come back into the living room, bright eyes, filled with wonder and a hesitant smile on his face: "look what I got, Mom!" He said.  I turned my head and saw him holding in his hands a mesmerizing, long, skiny, shiny, purple and gold item.  My mind knew what it was, but my brain refused to register.  "It's Link's Sword!" He said.  My fear was confirmed.  "They delivered it here to our house, because they couldn't give it to me at school!  It's a real sword! Touch it!  It's real! It's my Senior gift from my Band section."  I stood up and received it in my hands as Grant placed it on them with great care.  I couldn't believe it...it was metal.  I took it out of its sheath...it was sharp.  My heart sank.  "We have a real weapon in the house now!" Grant said that with all the excitement a 17 year old boy could muster.  I put on a smile and said: "don't show it to your brother.  Keep it hidden.  Be extremely careful with it.  WOW, is it cool?!!!! I love it! Put it away, now!"

As we examine the items of the armor of God, we finally get to the sword.  The weapon.  All of the other items we've looked at have been mostly for protection.  Not this one.  The sword of the Spirit is for attacking.  Without it...we are left huddled up, curled into a ball behind the shield.  Obviously, however...when preparing us for battle, God places the sword in our hands with one purpose: to use it!  Lord, have mercy!

But, what is the sword of the Spirit?  Well...it is none other than the Word.

The Word is that double-edged sword that Jesus used to stab the enemy right on the heart, not only when the Pharisees relentlessly tried to trick Him during His ministry here on earth, but also when it taunted Him in the dessert (Matthew 4: 1-25).   And the Word is placed in our hands to be used in all matters, because it is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3: 16-17)  And most important of all, the Word is Jesus Himself, who has been since the beginning...from the beginning, the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1: 1).  And He is coming again, in full glory, and we will see how, from his mouth came a sharp two-edged sword (Revelations 1: 16).

The sword of the Spirit is a precious gift indeed.  It is one that mesmerizes us when we face its beauty, while it scares us when we realize its power.  But, unlike the frantic advice I gave Grant when he received his gift, the sword of the Spirit is not meant to be hidden and kept away from our brothers and sisters.  The sword that is the Word is meant to be shared with the world.  We can't hide it under a bushel, no!  The Word is the lamp to our feet and a light to our path! (Psalm 119: 105).  How are we to charge ahead without it lighting the way?  This sword is to be consumed whole, eaten, so it can be used.  And if we ever are to store it, it ought only to be stored up in our hearts! (Psalm 119: 11)

Yes, we have a weapon in our house, so beware...I hope it never gets used in any way! 

Yes, we have a weapon in our hearts...let's make sure we use it every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.