Wednesday, March 16, 2022

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers"

 This morning's devotional contained ideas that resonate with my current professional life in disturbing ways.  The short reading referred to the danger of gifts that come with strings attached, and how churches and religious organizations should resist the temptation of accepting contributions that require them to blur, relegate or even to completely ignore and erase the Christian mission and purpose which are their very reason for existence.  I couldn't agree more with this warning.  I've seen it happening with my own eyes...but...what truly grabbed me was the fact that the writer of the devotional reading linked this concept with 2 Corinthians 6: 14:

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Maybe it's just me, but this is the first time I see this verse referenced in a context that is not regarding marriage and personal relationships.  And that intrigued me to no end.  The more I've been thinking about it, the more I'm realizing that, indeed, this command is not just valid in romantic and intimate partnerships.  This realization has also become a true slap on the face to me because I am unequally yoked together with unbelievers professionally...

I read a few commentaries on the subject and, even though they mostly explain this verse also within the context of marriage, it is clear to me that it extends beyond into any venture in which believers join with unbelievers...and the result is always the same: the union produces a snare and much distress.  And, I sure can attest to that.  I feel the powerful snare of my job wrapped around my neck, chocking me...because of my dependence on it, and the thought is revolting.

Sigh...

I kept reading more commentaries, and many coincided on the notion of the inevitability of co-habitation.  This means basically that, even though we cannot avoid seeing, hearing and being among unbelievers, as we all inhabit this world, the key is to stay alert and not to choose to be intimate with them...which in contexts outside of personal relationships may mean to avoid joining in their causes, efforts and aims.  In other words, we must stay away "from all conformity to the corruptions of this present evil world." (Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary)

The way I see it, this is all related to what Jesus prayed about right before He was arrested, according to John 17: 14-15, where He prayed for His disciples:

14 I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.

We cannot avoid being in the world...but we must remember we are not of the world any more than Jesus is from the world.  His prayer is not to take us out of the world, but for protection while we journey in this world of evil.  That's why Paul tells us in Romans 12: 2

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Like a woman married to an unbeliever, and not having the resources and strength to leave him...I know I am not strong enough to refuse the yoke when my sustenance depends on it.  However, I trust that the Holy Spirit will empower me when the moment comes.  Maybe this meditation is part of the preparation...I don't know...but, my prayer is that I can obey and not to conform to the patterns of this world, and of my workplace...not to join in the efforts and aims of my employer ... that I will be able to discern where to draw the line, and that when the line is right in front of me, Christ gives me the strength to not cross it...so I may be found within the ranks of the Lord when the trumpet calls.  In the Precious Name of Jesus, Our Refuge, Provider, Source of Power and Strength.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.