Tuesday, May 2, 2023

The Abundant Life of Christ in Us

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10: 10

I usually do not feel led to the King James translation of Scripture, but for this verse, I prefer it because of the word "abundantly."  The NIV version uses the word "full" instead, and whereas the connotations of this term are great, indeed, the "richness" of the word "abundantly" seems more fitting to Jesus, at least in my humble opinion.  

I might be entirely wrong, but "full" gives me the sense of something very practical and material.  Full makes me think of having no room left (as in my stomach after dinner) or of something that is comprehensive and thorough.  It has a very spatial sense to me, like I can almost see it.  It is as if it is full to the measure of the space that it is filling.  "Abundant" on the other hand, seems more ethereal, more abstract.  It does not have a measure.  It transcends.  It's ample, profuse.  It is plentiful and lavish...like Jesus' love.

This life that Jesus comes to give to us is a life without limits because it is the life that we live with Him and it goes beyond the container.  And, again, in my humble opinion, Jesus is not referring here to the material aspects of life.  I believe, Jesus is pointing to the life we live when He is in us.  That is the miracle of such inexhaustible abundance: Christ in me.  That is the hope of glory like Paul tells us in Colossians 1: 27.  And glory cannot be contained in spatial parameters.  Just like Jesus whom the grave could not keep, the life lived with Him in us surpasses even us.

This abundant life is not about a richness that can be touched or even about a sense of happiness or satisfaction or stability as the world understand such concepts.  This abundant life is the one that showers us with the assurance of His Presence...because it is His Presence the element that produces the abundance that Jesus is telling us about.  No endless amount of the stuff of this world could ever give us this abundant life.  Only His Presence in us can.  

Today, as I look out the window, complaining about yet another dreary day in May...I pray that I'm reminded that even in the darkest and most depressing of times, we can hang on to Jesus' promise of abundance, because His love and His presence have no limits, and as long as we can count on Him, we can get through everything.  May the Holy Spirit give us a keen awareness of Jesus in us, the only hope of glory.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.