Monday, January 29, 2024

Reflections on the Book Winning the War on Worry: Lie #2

I have been watching many crime-style-movies lately.  The "who-done-it" hooks me, and before I know it, I'm playing homicide detective.  In these shows, "motive" is always an important key.  The detectives are always looking for it. Until they find it, they can't build a solid case around a suspect.  In many of these shows, we find out at the end, the motivation to commit the crime stems from a lie.  The culprit ends up usually not being a serial killer, but a misguided individual who told a lie and has to cover it up or was told a lie and believed it...which caused him/her to an extreme reaction...usually a murder.  Even serial killers' motivation and M.O. are often linked to some sort of lie in their past.  

At any rate, as I continue my careful reading of Louie Giglio's book Winning the War on Worry, chapter 1 tells us "worry is a liar."  And the second lie the enemy uses on us is: "the more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."  So, "the motive" for worrying is to avoid or keep "it" (whatever "it" might be) from actually happening.  At first glance, this statement didn't seem to apply to me all that much.  But then, as I started to look at worry in terms of a "crime" I started to look at what my motivation for worrying might be.  And the funny thing is, many, many times, I just worry for the sake of worrying.  It's my M.O.  I don't even know why I do.  I just worry because if I'm not worried, I start worrying that there's something I need to be worried about, but I'm not sure what it is, so I start digging around until I find something I need to worry about and then I'm like, "see? I knew it!"

However, what if my incessant need to worry emerges from the fact that long ago, longer than I can remember, I believed a lie from the enemy who made me think that the more I worry, the less likely it is for that worst case scenario to happen.  Therefore, I began to worry motivated by this lie I had believed in, and worry became my M.O. and it has been my habitual way of acting ever since.

How diabolical...

The truth is, worry doesn't keep anything from happening.  In fact, worrying only makes things worst.  It makes us panicky and when we panic, we can't think rationally.  Fear makes us act erratically, and mistakes are made because we go on "survival" mode.  And I don't know about you, but my survival mode is terrifying, especially to those around me.  I become hysterical and destructive.  I can't think and I often hurt everyone I cross paths with.  The enemy knows that about me.  Hence, the lie.  Making me believe this lie will ensure that I am in a constant state of fret and disarray, unable to calm down and think...and pray...

What to do?

First step, like Pastor Giglio says, "become adept at spotting the lies worry tells you" so you and I can become experts at dismantling them, rendering them ineffective. Then, "lean in and trust God." Pastor Giglio continues on page 6, "one of the greatest tools to help counter the temptation to worry is recalling the faithfulness of God"...the faithfulness of God tells you, "today I will do for you what I did yesterday, and the day before, and the days before that.  Faithfulness is the fuel of peace for today."  Remembering God's Faithfulness and recounting all the instances in which He has delivered us and blessed us is the antidote against worry and the key to regaining His peace.  

I know it is hard for someone for whom worrying is the default reaction to life's hurdles.  That's why we need back up.  Just like in the crime-style-movies, detectives who have the presence of mind to call for back up before engaging in something that is potentially going to end in harm, usually survive violent encounters...we worriers need to make sure we reach out to our back up at the first tingle of fear.  And the first one to call, the one on your #1 spot in your speed dial is:  The Holy Spirit.  A quick 911 to the Holy Spirit to make His presence manifested in the situation will make the difference between succumbing to the weapons of the enemy or staying firm on solid ground.  Then, reach out to your prayer warriors.  Establish a small circle of sisters in Christ to whom you can always place emergency calls or texts and recruit them to lift you up in prayer and serve as a sounding boards on your struggle.  And of course, go to Jesus in Scripture.  Stay in the Word always.  The same way the enemy does not rest or get distracted on his mission to disrupt our lives, we must stay in the Word every day, making it part of who we are, memorizing and praying without ceasing.

Well, I guess it's time to go find out who's done it this time in my current movie I have on pause :) but before that, I pray that we can stay connected to His promises of peace like a river, beyond our understanding, trusting He is the Faithful One who walks with us and tells us, fear not.  In the Precious Name of Jesus, The One Who Has Overcome Every Trial for me.  Amen!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.