Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Fellowship: 2024 Word of the Year

 I'm not sure what happened, but I blinked and 2023 was over.  The last few months went by so fast that my head is still spinning.  In the whirlwind of things, I have not had very many moments to sit down and write...and I'm not sure as to why...but there's no time for regrets, right? So here I am...on the second day of 2024 talking about my word for the year.  And the word is:  fellowship.

My word for last year was "genuine."

Unfortunately, I have to admit that I was not able to keep to it 100% of the time.  However, I can honestly say that I did have very special moments of genuine fellowship which made me realize the importance of this practice.  The moments that stand out the most revolved around book chats.  I was blessed with being a part of two book chats, one over the summer and one in the fall, which gave me plenty of opportunities to fellowship with dear sisters in Christ and see friendships blossom as we grew closer to one another and to Christ.  I also had chances to fellowship with my own family as we shared super special moments driving through Arizona, surrounded by a beauty so intense that moved us to worship.  

But, what is fellowship, and why is it important?

Well, briefly, the word fellowship is derived from the Greek word koinonia. Koinonia can be defined as “holding something in common” and is specifically used 20 times in the New Testament (e.g. Phil. 2:1-2, Acts 2:42, 1 John 1:6-7). Koinonia describes the unity of the Spirit that comes from Christians’ shared beliefs, convictions, and behaviors. When those shared values are in place, genuine koinonia (biblical fellowship) occurs. This fellowship produces our mutual cooperation in God’s worship, God’s work, and God’s will being done in the world. (Grace Theological Seminary)

Fellowship is an integral part of Christianity and it is a tool that the Holy Spirit uses to help us grow in our faith.  Through that unity that emerges when Christians gather together and share their beliefs, convictions and way of living, the body of Christ, the church becomes stronger and so do individuals.  Think about it.  Has it happened to you that sometimes you are at a Bible study or maybe even just casually having a conversation with some sisters in Christ and there is a discussion of a topic or a passage of Scripture that you thought you were very familiar with, and all of a sudden, you hear insights on that topic or particular passage that you never thought about before, making the whole thing completely fresh and new?  That is the gift of fellowship.  

There is a reason the Bible calls us to fellowship with other believers.  Paul says in 1 Corinthians 1: 9, "you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord."  We are invited to partake in the divine fellowship of the Trinity between Jesus, The Father and The Holy Spirit, our most perfect example of perfect Koinonia.  It is in this unity that we experience a glimpse of paradise here on Earth.  

Well, 2024 is here, and it is my prayer that I can be intentional about participating more intensely in Christian fellowship with my brothers and sisters in Christ.  May we all walk in the Light together, as 1 John 1: 7 says,

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

And as we walk in the Light, may we encourage one another, bear each other's burdens, and make each other better, as iron sharpens iron.  In the Precious Name of Jesus, the Author and Perfector of our faith.  

Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.