Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Slow Down and Recharge


Well, we have arrived at the middle of the "MomStrong" Bible Study, and we are about the enter two topics that make me frazzled, flustered and anxious:  forgiveness and pruning.

Don't get me wrong.  I love the idea of forgiveness: when it means I'm forgiven! When it comes to me forgiving others or, most of all, myself...that's when it gets tricky for me...hence the anxiety and frustration.  It's the same with pruning.  Though I'm NO gardener, I know what pruning means in the Bible: to cut off.  Just as in gardening and agriculture, which, again, I know nothing about, pruning is necessary in our lives as Christians to keep our growth stable and stimulated as well as to remove what is dead or diseased:

Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit. John 15: 2

The problem is...often, I find it very hard to differentiate that which is dead or diseased from what is healthy, beautiful and necessary.  Worse yet, I have a hard time accepting the second part of this concept:  "every branch that bears fruit, He prunes so that it may bear more fruit..." WHAT'S. UP. WITH. THAT?

Sigh...

Hence, my anxiety and fear when it comes to thinking about pruning.

This is why, before I enter into these challenging topics, I'd like to pause and reflect on the words of my devotional reading today:

"Trust ME in the depths of your being.  It is there that I live in constant communication with you.  When you feel flustered and frazzled on the outside, do not get upset with yourself.  You are only human, and the swirl of events going on all around you will sometimes feel overwhelming.  Rather than scolding yourself for your humanness, remind yourself that I am both with you and within you...my peace is your continual experience.  Slow down your pace of living for a time.  Quiet your mind in my Presence.  Then, you will be able to hear Me bestowing the resurrection blessing:  Peace be with you!" (Sarah Young's Jesus Calling)

It is a matter of Trusting the One Who is in control...and that is not us, but Our Lord.

In this time of heightened anxiety, fear, frustration and confusion, when we feel frazzled and flustered, overwhelmed by the demands of life, work, motherhood...let's be intentional about hitting the pause button often, to find the time to be still and listen to His voice.  I pray that today and throughout what is left of this week and of the summer season, we are able to be intentional about slowing down, even if for a short moment, to truly be in that moment, at peace with Our Lord. This will help us recharge our batteries to be able to face the road ahead, always mindful that He walks with us.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.