Saturday, March 20, 2021

The Light!

 Something that has always brought hope to my spirit is opening the blinds early in the morning and seeing sunshine cutting through the field in front of our house on a backdrop of perfectly blue sky.  On mornings like this, I can breathe in the light and I feel it inside my soul, energizing me to step into the new day with renewed strength.  Light does that to us.  It awakens us.  It clears our path.  It clears our minds.  It destroys darkness.  It uncovers what is hidden.  It makes things grow and bloom.

My devotional reading yesterday said: "The Light of My Presence is shining upon you, in benedictions of Peace.  Let My Light shine in you; don't dim it with worries or fears.  Holiness is letting Me live through you.  Since I dwell in you, you are fully equipped to be holy.  Pause before responding to people or situations, giving My Spirit space to act through you.  Hasty words and actions leave no room for Me..." (Jesus Calling, Sarah Young)

How often I deny the Light in me or opt for dimming it with worries and fears?  How many times I forget that Christ lives in me, and try to take care of things on my own, rather than allowing space for Him to act through me? Why do I ignore His Words and dismiss the truth that He spoke when He said“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12)  Why do I reject the light?

Perhaps, because the light also exposes.  As I look around and see the wonderful rays of sunlight filtering through the windows, I also see all the dust particles flying in the air.  As the light of the sun uncovers all the dirty surfaces in my house, signaling it's time for an overdue spring-cleaning; The Light who lives in me, when I don't dim it or ignore it, also uncovers the grime and dirt all around my soul...and the same way I might be tempted to close the blinds back up so I don't have to stare at the dust in my home, I am often inclined to close the blinds in my soul so I don't have to see the sin in my life.

The good news is, darkness cannot overcome Light! (John 8: 12)  No matter how much I try to put out the Light...it is not within my power to extinguish it.  The Light will continue to shine, whether I want to ignore Him or acknowledge Him.  Even when it might seem as if darkness has taken over, Light is triumphant forever!

The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. Revelations 21: 23

May we allow the Holiness of Jesus living in us to empower us to let the Light shine brightly in our hearts and lives.  May He strengthen us so we, too, can bring the Light to this world that so badly needs it.  May Our Lord shine through us today.  In the Precious Name of Christ.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.