Monday, May 17, 2021

While I Wait for the Furnace

 "Christians in every age, including ours, are always going to have to stand up to oppressors.  It's part of the Christian walk."  This was the "Big Idea" of our Pastor's sermon yesterday at church...and I have to tell you, it got me...it got me good.

One of my biggest sources of insecurity and feelings of inadequacy (apart from being a terrible mother and wife and friend and human being in general) come from my fear of being open about my faith at work...sigh...I pray the Lord would give me what it takes to do my work as if working for Him...but I fail 150% of the time. I feel like a big coward.  Every time I hear people talking about our Christian calling to be bold and be a Christian in every facet of our lives, I feel convicted.  

I know it sounds like a copout...probably because it is...but, my workplace is hostile against Christian workers.  And, I cannot afford to lose my job.  I am attached to the comfort of having a nice paycheck every two weeks.  And I don't want to jeopardize that.  I try to justify my attachment to my job by saying that with that money I can be generous and support the causes that bring forth the Gospel even if I don't do it myself...but...Pastor Dan's sermon yesterday showed me that there will be a day when that is not going to be enough...

Against the backdrop of Daniel 3: 1-27, that shocking scene when King Nebuchadnezzar throws Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego into the blazing fire and the Pre-Incarnate Jesus walks with them, unbinds them and protects them from a fire so hot that even the guards that threw them into it perished as they approached the furnace...Pastor Dan stated how one day, they will also come for us and we, too, will have to face the heat.

One day, they will come for me.  One day they will burst my protective bubble in which I have been able to survive all these years, and I will have to feel the flames.  The question is:  "What will I do then?"

Will I be able to stand firm for my beliefs and boldly proclaim, 

“King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.” Daniel 3: 16-17

Or will I coward and abide by their wicked policies and evil demands?

Will I be free to be who I am in Christ or will I continue to be a slave to money and comfort, status and position?

The answer is simple:  left to my own strength and resolve, I will not be able to stand firm on my faith.  I will crumble, stumble and fall into their schemes...the fire will just consume me.

With that said, I know that I must use this time before the furnace, to prepare.  And how does one prepare for an imminent fire? Well, I guess one option is to evacuate and dodge it before it burns us, right?  But, what if that is not an option?  Then, the only way to be ready is to dive into the Word and place myself in the Hands of The Lord, the Only One who could deliver me either from or through the fire.  I need to use this time before the furnace to commend my Spirit to Christ and to invoke the Holy Spirit to guide me...to guide my every step and my every word when the time comes.  

Just like Jesus said:
“You must be on your guard. You will be handed over to the local councils and flogged in the synagogues. On account of me you will stand before governors and kings as witnesses to them. And the gospel must first be preached to all nations. Whenever you are arrested and brought to trial, do not worry beforehand about what to say. Just say whatever is given you at the time, for it is not you speaking, but the Holy Spirit. Mark 13: 9-11

I will trust in Him and I will pray that the Holy Spirit will make me strong enough to be honored to face the flames for Jesus. I will trust His Word.  I will trust His strength.  I will trust His promises. I will take refuge under His Wings and I will know, that one day I will sore like an eagle, flying free with Him...like a phoenix...reborn after the fire.  

As I wait for the furnace, I will write His Word into my heart...and trust that Scripture will be the lamp for my feed and the light on my path. (Psalm 119: 105)

From Psalm 37

12 The wicked plot against the righteous
and gnash their teeth at them;
13 but the Lord laughs at the wicked,
for he knows their day is coming.

14 The wicked draw the sword
and bend the bow
to bring down the poor and needy,
to slay those whose ways are upright.
15 But their swords will pierce their own hearts,
and their bows will be broken.

23 The Lord makes firm the steps
of the one who delights in him;
24 though he may stumble, he will not fall,
for the Lord upholds him with his hand.

32 The wicked lie in wait for the righteous,
intent on putting them to death;
33 but the Lord will not leave them in the power of the wicked
or let them be condemned when brought to trial.

39The salvation of the righteous comes from the Lord;
he is their stronghold in time of trouble.
40 The Lord helps them and delivers them;
he delivers them from the wicked and saves them,
because they take refuge in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.