Sunday, August 8, 2021

How Long Is It Too Long to Pray?

 How long is it too long to pray for something?  Is there a time limit...an expiration date for prayer? Is there a moment...when we say: it's been too long...I can stop praying now because it's not going to happen?  How long do we continue to pray until we realize the answer is no?

Is an hour too long? How about a day? or a week, a month...a year?  Is 10 years too long to be praying for something and still have faith it will happen?  When do we give up praying for something in particular?

The thing is, we are commanded in 1 Thessalonians 5:17 to "pray without ceasing" non-stop, always, all the time. We are to "Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving" (Colossians 4:2).  Steadfast means: resolutely or dutifully firm and unwavering.  So, how long is too long? I would say, until there is still breath in our lungs and our hearts keep beating we continue praying without ceasing. 

Sometimes we don't get to see it on this side of eternity...I prayed for reconciliation between my brother and my Father, but my Father passed away a couple of hours before my brother could make it to his deathbed.  That was a tragic story that would not reach its resolution on this earth.  But I have continued to pray for reconciliation between those of us still around, and this last few days, 12 years since praying began, I've seen the first steps taken towards that elusive state where we can be a family again, and for that I give praise!

Over the years I've known only God could soften the hearts...and I've been tempted to believe that it was not His will to do it, but I continued praying mostly guided by obedience and perhaps, habit. Today, my faith is renewed by the hesitant, baby steps that have been taken.  I know the road is long and many may fall on it before we get to be whole again, but it is clear that God's will is to mend the broken hearts and dry off every tear, not just in Heaven, but often also here.

How long is it too long to pray for something? An entire lifetime is not enough.

May the Holy Spirit guide us in our prayers, and as Paul told us, may we experience how "the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words." Romans 8:26

In the Precious Name of Our Lord! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.