Friday, August 13, 2021

Relax and Seek Him First

 "Learn to enjoy life more."

That was the first thing I read this morning...

That was the first line of my devotional reading...

And that's exactly what I needed to think about.  But, how do I enjoy life more?  One sure way I enjoy life is when I am on vacation, taking fun trips like to the beach or a road trip with my boys.  I also enjoy life when I'm dreaming about retirement or when I'm watching home-renovation shows, imagining all the things we can improve in our house or when I'm browsing the real estate listings, planning our next move.  All of these things, however, are either temporary, here today and gone tomorrow, or imaginary (like when I tell Dan that we should sell everything, buy an RV and live as nomads).  None of these things truly bring me lasting satisfaction.  They don't bring me the kind of contentment that would carry me through a life filled with joy and peace.  So, how do I enjoy life more?

"Learn to enjoy life more.  Relax remembering that I am God with you...the more you focus on My Presence with you, the more fully you can enjoy life.  Glorify Me through your pleasure in Me.  thus you proclaim My Presence to the watching world." (Jesus Calling by Sarah Young)

The only way to enjoy the ride this life offers me is by having Jesus at the wheel.  There's no other way around that.  And how do I do that?  How do I let go, let Him drive and live the abundant life? The answer that keeps coming back over and over and over again is by seeking Him first.  Making it a priority to seek His Presence is the secret to a full life and to contentment.  Seek Him in everything.  See Him in all things and moments.  Listen to His whispers all the time.  Feel Him in the sunset.  Breathe Him in the sunrise.  Taste His love in a birthday cake.  Touch Him in the embrace of a dear friend.  Hear Him in the carefree laughter of children playing in the summer.  Sense Him in the pain of loss.  See Him in the tears of fear.  Welcome Him in the storm. Watch Him in the waves.  Perceive Him in the dark.  Bask in His Light and enjoy life!

Notice, however, that as we seek Him and glorify Him and enjoy life more, a whole world is watching us.  Therefore, our life becomes a living testimony to who He is.  It is not just for our own enjoyment.  It is for the purpose of pointing to the One in whose delight we rejoice!  We are supposed to look at the birds of the air and the flowers of the field and realize how they don't worry about life...they fulfill their purpose:  to delight mankind.  Likewise, our purpose is to seek Him and glorify Him as we live the abundant life...relaxing in the knowledge that we are taken care of each and every day as we rest in His Presence.

May we learn to enjoy life more in Him, who gives us life.  Amen!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.