Wednesday, October 31, 2018

The Rush of Days

Are you often so busy that life seems to be passing you by at the speed of light?  Do you ever feel as if time is just slipping away?

I feel like that.  And I don't like it!

I want to savor the days.  I want to enjoy the moments.  I want to set aside time to speak and to listen to God.  I want to pause and listen to my children's laughter while I still can.  I want to pet my dog and enjoy a nice walk with my husband.  I want to look at the sky and marvel at God's creation.

Mostly, however, I rush through hallways as blurry faces hurry by.  I look at the pavement and drag a heavy load in my arms.  I speed through the streets and sigh in frustration when trapped in traffic.  I speak harsh words and stare at watches and clocks.  I tap my fingers and shake my legs in restlessness.  I listen little and push around. 

I blink, and there isn't even the vapor of the days left behind.

I don't even know where the years have gone?  Today was the first Halloween neither of my kids went trick or treating!  That, to me, was a big blow!  A reality hit in the face that woke me up to the fact that my boys are not little anymore...what in the world?  How did that happen?

In the busyness of my days I'm afraid, I'm weaving an entrapment of my own, which threatens to rob me of my ability to redeem the times.  The days are evil, and I am to make the most of my time. (Ephesians 5: 16)  But that doesn't mean running around like a crazy woman or becoming a workaholic.  It means, being wise at how I spend my hours.  It means allocating my precious moments to what truly matters.  It means spending time in God's presence and enjoying the abundant life He has provided.

When I forget and take my eyes off of eternity, my life becomes chaotic and senseless.  But the Lord is Good all the time.  He loves me.  He loves you.  And in His infinite love and compassion, He renews His mercies every morning.  Therefore, each day presents a new opportunity to refresh our resolve to be grateful for the day He has made and to rejoice in it, in all of it!  May Our Merciful Jesus guide us on the path of redeeming our time.  May our lives pay tribute to His presence.  So the moments that together make up our lives be spent in His Grace and in His Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.