Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Jesus Speaks to Women: The Wedding and The Women



On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”

4 “Woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”

5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.” John 2: 1-5

As we wrap up our journey through the Gospel of Luke with the amazing gift of witnessing the Resurrection of Jesus through the eyes of women, we enter an entirely different book, the Gospel according to John.  I have not forgotten Mark, by no means.  But, there is something about John's writing that is drawing me right now, so I will get to Mark's after John's.  How about that?  The path is determined by the leading of the Holy Spirit, and I commend myself to it.

Besides, I happen to be doing some collaborative research and discussion on this particular passage of John involving the Wedding at Cana and I find the whole thing so fascinating and intriguing, that I would like to share some of the thoughts circulating in my little group.

First, well...I'm not a Bible Scholar or a Theologian.  I don't even play one on TV.  I'm just so in love with Scriptures and, particularly, I am so fascinated by the role of women in the life and times that Jesus walked on this Earth, that I can't help but wanting to know more and explore the paths, hopefully to gain a deeper appreciation for who I am in God's plan.

With that said, most of what I am going to share here is the result of my research, reading and meditations on this passage.  Therefore, it is not authoritative, it is just my own musings on the subject.  And I invite you to add yours as well.

OK...one more thing I want to say... I know that, when it comes to Mary, the Mother of Jesus, there is a lot of controversy, and I don't want to step on anybody's beliefs.  All I want to do is to explore this particular event and see what it's saying to us today, a couple of thousands years later.

Parting from the premise that Jesus is the One and Only Messiah. The Only Lord and Savior. The Only One who accomplished it all.  The Only One through whom all was finished.  We enter into this text with most reverence and respect for Who Jesus IS:  The Great I AM.

Now, let's take a look at verse 1:  "On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there..."  By the time of this event, Jewish law commanded all society.  Everything, from business transactions to gender roles were governed by the law.  Up until forever, the law God handed to Moses was the utmost authority.  Basically, Moses' Law was the first five books of the Old Testament, also referred to as the Pentateuch (from the Greek that simply means: Five Books).  When the New Testament unfolded, however, things were changing.  The Roman Empire had taken over Israel.  With it, Greek customs also became an influence among the people of God.  Some were assimilating.  But, yet, most, looked for ways to remain faithful to their Judaic traditions.  This is when sects began to pop with the purpose of preserving the Law, one of the most known being the Pharisees.  

In this effort to maintain the Jewish traditions alive and relevant, Rabbis started making commentaries to the original Mosaic Law.  The commentaries and expansions to the Law were done orally, passed down from Rabbi to Rabbi.  Eventually they did get written down into what is known as the books of the Talmud.  Anyway, the thing is that the commentaries and expansions in what became the Talmud included, among other things, stricter views on women's rights and roles within society. The thing is that, it is precisely at the time of Jesus physically walking on this Earth that this transition is emerging.  So it is evident in the New Testament.  

For instance, it is at this time that the new regulations indicated that women were not allowed to testify in court. In effect, this categorized them with Gentiles, minors, deaf-mutes and “undesirables” such as gamblers, the insane, usurers, and pigeon-racers, who were also denied that privilege.  Remember, women in the Old Testament were even able to be Judges! (Remember Deborah?).  At the time of the Wedding in Cana, however, things had changed.  Women's roles were confined to the home and private life.  As a general rule, they were not to be mixed in with men in public.  And, the few events they were allowed to attend were funerals and weddings.  That's why Mary is here.  It was perfectly appropriate for her to be at that wedding. And, that's why it is so amazing what Jesus did throughout the entire time He was physically present among us: He talked to women as equals!

I don't want this post to get too long, so I will continue next time.  But, let's contemplate the information here and marvel at the actions of Jesus pertaining women that we have witnessed so far...in a world where women were not to be seen or heard, Jesus restored our dignity! Praised be His Holy Name! Amen!




No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.