Sunday, February 10, 2019

Jesus Speaks to Women: The Witnesses

9 When they came back from the tomb, they told all these things to the Eleven and to all the others. 10 It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the others with them who told this to the apostles. 11 But they did not believe the women, because their words seemed to them like nonsense. 12 Peter, however, got up and ran to the tomb. Bending over, he saw the strips of linen lying by themselves, and he went away, wondering to himself what had happened. 
Luke 24: 9-12

Can you think of a time when you got news so big and so amazing that you couldn't wait to share them with all who would be impacted by it?  I don't know about you, but I just can't contain myself!  I remember, last year, when I finally got my tenure at work, my boss (a woman, by the way) couldn't wait for me to get my letter in the mail, so, as soon as she heard, she contacted me.  I was miles away, in Phoenix, when the text message came in.  It was a sweet thing to read.  I shouted it at loud as I was in my niece's Nicole's house, with my sister and Rosa in the room!  It was a great group to share the news with, but there was just one more person I needed to tell at once:  Dan.  We had been waiting for this news for a long time...so, when the time came, I had to drop whatever I was doing to contact him.  What a sweet day!

The women in this story got just about a million times more exciting news than mine, so of course they wouldn't wait another second to share them.  They couldn't!

Luke's account of this event lists 3 women by their names and implies that there were "others" as well.  I imagine this group of women witnesses running back from the tomb straight to where the Eleven were to tell them what had just happened.  I can see the excitement and astonishment in their faces as they, out of breath, try to formulate a credible way of announcing what they had witnessed.  But...the men, "did not believe the women, because their words seemed to them like nonsense." (insert a sound indicating great frustration!)

Why didn't they believe the testimony of these women?  Was it that far-fetched!? Had they also forgotten the words of Jesus? They probably had...just like the women before, these men also had a hard time remembering.  Also, I can see how the men were confused.  The way I picture the scene is this group of women coming in, all speaking at the same time, trying to express what had happened among shouts and tears.  The men were probably left scratching their heads, thinking they were hysterical.  Then, as if that wasn't enough, by rabbinical law, women were not considered reliable witnesses.  So, I guess it is not surprising that the disciples were hearing nothing but nonsense coming out of the women's mouth...all, except for one:  Peter.

With the sting of his denial of Jesus probably still bitterly fresh in his soul, Peter's instincts were as sharp as blades.  He had a feeling, and as the man of action that he was, he acted on it.  He rose above the nonsense and ran to the tomb, propelled by hope.  

We'll continue looking at this passage in the coming days.  For now, let us savor in the beauty of God's designs:  those who by human standards are disregarded as unreliable and not worthy to testify in a court of law, become the prime witnesses to give testimony of Christ's Resurrection.  The one whose foot routinely resided in his mouth as his passions often betrayed him, becomes the prime seeker of the truth.  May the Holy Spirit guide us as we fulfil the roles we have been appointed with to carry out our purpose while we still walk on this earth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.