Thursday, August 9, 2012

How About Some of "Grandma's Potato Salad"?

My 10-year-old son, Grant, is a very picky eater. I’m not sure if “picky” is the right word. Fastidious has a better ring, perhaps? The thing is that he particularly doesn’t like anything I make (well, I’m exaggerating here a bit since he does like the occasional baked goods I make, of course). But seriously, I can offer that child two versions of the same dish, one made by me and the other one made by someone else, and without hesitation, and without tasting either of them first, he’ll choose the one made by someone else.

He is my son, c’mon?! He is supposed to like his mama’s cooking, isn’t he? I guess he never got that memo…at any rate, I’ve been known to trick him every once in a while. I am not proud of it, but desperation has driven me to tell him things like, “here’s Grandma’s potato salad and baked beans,” when in reality they’re not. I am very ashamed of it and I have resolved not to resort to such tactics ever again. And who knew? The Lord has arranged it so that my current situation would actually help me in accomplishing this goal.

As I am currently recovering from surgery and pretty much incapacitated from physical activities, the Lord is using this condition to send me on a path of wonderful discoveries. The last few days I have discovered the blessing of family and church friends. In my hour of need, our relatives and church family have thrown themselves at the opportunity to lend us a hand, mainly by showering us with delightful gifts of food. Every day we have been tasting something new made by loving hands who are up to the challenge of serving those in need, - namely, my poor husband who otherwise would be responsible for cooking for us for the days to come.

We have been getting phone calls, e-mails and knocks on the door announcing the delivery of a wonderful variety of delectable treats and meals. Dinner last night resembled the spread at an all-you-can-eat buffet line. Needless to say my two sons, my husband and I were praising God for the hands that prepared and delivered such bountiful provision; but the most excited member of my family was…yes…you guessed it, my son Grant. He stared wide-eyed at the counter packed full of the most diverse display of dishes. The best part, he didn’t even have to wonder. He knew I had not made any of them.

Being the choosy eater that he is, armed with plate and serving spoon in hand, Grant carefully surveyed the field before making any rash decisions. As he admired the spread, I presented the feast with proper introductions in order to help him make informed choices. “Hey Grant, look at Mrs. June’s wonderful cheesy potatoes!” “Here’s some more of Judy’s chicken. It’s very yummy!” “Oh, and look at Angela’s incredible spinach dish!” “Here’s some of Aunt Laura’s carrots. Sorry, her cookies are all gone.” “How about some of Grandma’s potato salad?”

Grant was in food heaven, and so was I. It was a peaceful dinner seasoned with gratitude and the comfort of loving friends and relatives who showed their care and concern for my family by spending their precious time making us a meal. We enjoyed seconds of everything with plentiful deserts, but the best part, I didn’t have to trick my boy even once : )

Again, and again, I praise God for my relatives and church family. They sure have showed us how to “bear each other’s burdens” and how to be our “brother’s keeper.” (In addition to inadvertently helping me not to have to trick my son anymore…or at least not for a while : )

May the Lord bless them all as He promised,

“Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.” Luke 6: 38

Have you felt the love of God poured out to you by the actions of those around you lately?

I'm linking with Denise in BloomHearts for Home ThrusdaysThankful ThursdaysThought Provoking ThursdaysHaven of Rest

8 comments:

  1. I pray you continue to heal from you surgery. And I'm so glad your church family is reaching out to you. My middle child is my picky eater. She's funny. One time she asked to say grace. Then she prayed, "Dear God, please help mom's chili to taste good. Amen."

    Yep. That was the sum total of her prayer. I have quite the reputation as a cook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment. I enjoyed reading it very much. I LOVED your daughter's prayer...it sure sounds familiar : ) Thank you for sharing and have a blessed day. Thank you for the good wishes too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing. I know. When my husband had knee surgery our SS class amazed us by bringing in food. It was a huge blessing for us! Thanks for sharing. Have a Blessed Friday.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a true blessing. thank you for stopping by and same to you. In Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it and I can relate! Thank you for linking with thankful Thursday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You for the link up and for stopping by! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying you continue to heal and hoping it's super soon! :)

    Love this post. It's proof He's designed us to not go through this world alone! And it does in fact take a village...which I prefer to call a church :)

    Hugs to you! Loved meeting you this week (and your blog name is one of my very favorite songs!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Nikki, you are so right! Since the beginning, His design was for his children not to be alone, and the church-the body of believers all around the world- is, indeed, that family in which we are encouraged, built up and strengthened. His designs are perfect! thanks again for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.