Tuesday, August 21, 2012


Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. 1 Chronicles 16: 34

Well, yesterday, I got behind the wheel for the first time after more than two weeks. It was a bit surreal. I felt strange. I couldn’t believe how something so mundane like backing out of my garage felt so completely unfamiliar. As we rolled down the driveway, my older son asked me one last time, “Mama, are you sure you’re allowed to drive?” My younger admonished me, “remember you are not supposed to drive!” As we pulled out I reassured them that the doctor had said I could drive after 2 weeks and it’s been longer than that. As we got going on the road, and I turned the radio on to K-Love they settled down in the back seat and a sense of normalcy began to cover the three of us.

It sure has been a strange few weeks after my surgery and I believe we are all ready to breathe in some normalcy again. Though “normal” sometimes could be relative, it is good to reclaim a bit of our routine after it has been stripped off from our hands. It is funny how I always find something to complain about in my life on a daily basis, but then once my busy routine gets disrupted by unplanned occurrences, I miss my frantic days and wish I could go back to them, for they give me a sense of stability and control.

Mainly control, that’s what I’ve missed. As I slowed down to recover from my surgery, I didn’t really miss the hectic running around and the constant rushing of my “normal” days. I’ve missed the fact that while rushing and running around, I was in control, or so I thought. I’ve missed being in charge. I’ve missed being the one behind the wheel.

The days I’ve been sitting in my “recovery comfy chair station” I’ve enjoyed the care and attentions of my “boys” day in and day out. But, by the same token, I’ve felt helpless. At times I’ve felt consumed by uselessness and dependence. And I’ve many times wondered if there is a way to speed up recovery time so I could get back to being myself again.

I know, however, that we serve a God who is Good all the time and who has a perfect plan for each of His beloved children. As one of His adopted daughters, I share in this perfect plan and for that I am eternally thankful. He is Merciful, Compassionate and Faithful. He does not abandon us in the depth of the pit. He pulls us out. He rescues us. He brings us back into the light of His presence and into a new day of hope.

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23 

He rescues us from ourselves and shows us that regardless of our circumstances, we are in His hands and He will never let go. He reminds us that He is in the business of changing souls and bringing people back to life!

Today I praise Him for who He is, and for His path for me. I know that as long as I walk beside Him, I will not get lost because He leads me…He is at the steering wheel. I know that as long as He holds my hand, I should not be afraid. I know He deserves my praise and worship and that all the glory belongs to Him, forever!


Not to us, O LORD, not to us but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness. Psalm 115:1

By the time we pulled back into our driveway after running a couple of short errands, Dylan was singing to the tune of a praise song and Grant was asking me if we could go to another store the next day. Sitting behind the wheel of my beat up Honda Civic didn’t feel surreal anymore. And even though I had to take a nap after my first drive, (I felt silly, I was so exhausted) it was a good run.


Psalm 92:1-3 

It is good to praise the LORD and make music to your name, O Most High, to proclaim your love in the morning and your faithfulness at night, to the music of the ten-stringed lyre and the melody of the harp.


12 comments:

  1. Hey, I love this! I've felt the same way in times of injury, etc. The illusion that we are in control just because we are behind the wheel... I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks for a great post.
    Jan (visiting from SDG)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice! I really appreciate your comment and your time for stopping by. You are so right, it is just "the illusion of control" just because we are behind the wheel. The surrendered life puts Him at the wheel instead. Thanks again and have a blessed day!

      Delete
  2. Coming over from SDG and glad to welcome you to that great link up. Very nice blog here and glad to hear you are recovering well from your surgery. There are lots of lessons when we slow down, even when we have no choice in slowing down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank YOU for stopping by my humble blog Jean! I really appreciate the opportunity to link up with other Christian bloggers. And yes, you are correct when you say that there are lots of lessons to learn when we slow down. I truly believe the Lord has a purpose for everything and in everything He teaches us and reveals Himself to us in His loving ways. Take care and have a blessed day!

      Delete
  3. I'm just recovering from surgery myself and finally made it from the bed to the computer. I don't think it's an accident I found you. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I pray that your recovery is smooth and speedy. There are no accidents : ) I thank you very much for stopping by and take good care of yourself. Have a blessed evening! and hope to "see" you again soon : )

      Delete
  4. So glad that you found us at SDG, Gisela! I am sincerely glad that your recovery is going well and it is not silly at all to have to take a nap. Kudos to you for napping. Slowing down is hard for me to do, but so necessary. As someone who daily has to surrender control, I love this analogy. Jesus, take the wheel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jesus, take the wheel, please! : ) Thank YOU for visiting and for the good wishes and thoughtfulness. This was my first time at SDG and I really loved the site. Thanks again and have a blessed evening!

      Delete
  5. Visiting from SDG - yes, it is so common to want to "be in control", maybe especially as moms? Thankful for your recovery, and for His Words that light our way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, as Mothers we encounter this "wanting to be in control" dilemma on a daily basis and it could be heart breaking and exhausting. That's why when we finally relinquish the steering wheel, life becomes sweeter than we ever imagined. thank you for stopping by! Have a blessed evening!

      Delete
  6. I understand the feelings you share as I am healing from surgery and could not drive for over six weeks. The car truly did not feel like anything familiar when I finally was able to get behind the wheel. I, too, Gisela, am so grateful that Jesus is with me as I go through the steps of this life. I just must remember to seek Him at all times!
    Singing praises is such a powerful way to calm the soul and the mind. I am glad you are healing and will hold you in my prayers.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for visiting, Linda and I do pray that you are healing as well. Six weeks is a really long time to be tied up without being able to drive. Praise the Lord that He carried you through the long days. He is good all the time, and He teaches us as we go through the different stages and situations in our lives if we are tuned in to Him and willing to hear His whispering. thanks again and above all, thank you for your prayers! Blessings to you.

      Delete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.