Thursday, February 23, 2023

Ashes on My Forehead

 I don't remember when was the last time I had been to an Ash Wednesday service.  I'm so glad I did last night. I felt specially blessed by the fact that our Pastor actually put ashes on our forehead as a visible sign of our mortality and of our need to repent. Ashes also inevitably connected to what I addressed in my previous post regarding the tongue: fire.

Ashes are the remnant of fire.  Something had to burn so we can have ashes.  Our spiritual ancestors in the Jewish faith used "sackcloth and ashes" as an external representation of the suffering they felt inside, but also as a symbol of repentance and as a form of humility or humbling attitude.  These ideas directly connect with the day that marks the beginning of Lent: the period of preparation before Easter, when we practice the spiritual discipline of regret and remorse for our sins as we surrender to Christ and commemorate what He did for us through the Cross and Resurrection. It is only fitting, therefore, that ashes are integral to this day that kicks off Lent.  As we walk around with ashes painted on our forehead, we recognize our brokenness, and humbly, we repent.

But, what burns so we can have ashes?  Well, as our Pastor taught us last night, Numbers 19: 1-10 gives us a good origin story.  The ritual of the red heifer performed by the ancient Israelites, in which a young cow without blemish was burned as a sin offering and the ashes were kept so once they mixed with water, they would be used for cleansing and purification from sin relates perfectly to what we do on Ash Wednesday.  

I have to admit that the ceremonies of the law are way beyond my understanding.  I have a hard time finding the right association with the sacrifice system of the Jewish faith of old.  But I can totally see Jesus in the midst of this particular practice.  He is the unblemished Lamb who sacrificed Himself as the last and most perfect sin offering ever needed.  I see Him as the bearer of my sin.  I see His blood as the purifying agent of our souls. As see His Holy body broken up for us as our sustenance, our pride and our biggest shame...shame because it should have been me on the cross, but in His love, He took my place. And that is why I put ashes on my forehead...to remind me of my need to be conscious of what Jesus did, and as a sign of my commitment to repentance and surrender...and of my brokenness.

What do I burn so I can get ashes? I burn my pride. I burn my ego. I burn my lack of self-control that unleashes my tongue and lets it spread the fire of evil. I burn my sin. And I let the All-Consuming Fire of God restore me from ashes to beauty (Isaiah 61: 3). May Our Lord Jesus take us by the hand so out of the ashes we can rise.  In His Precious Name.  Amen!



No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.