Sunday, February 26, 2023

Testimony in Action

 "No matter what she might say about me, people who know me would not believe I'd do those things she accused me of, right Mom?" Dylan said as he related some troubling statements someone who doesn't particularly like him, said about him recently.  My heart was breaking as I heard him telling me that, but I confirmed to him, "that's right, Dylan.  Whoever knows you, would never believe those things.  Reputation is very important and that's why we have to protect it.  If we have a pattern of good behavior, most likely people would have positive thoughts about us in their minds.  Of course, some people might try to hurt us now and then, by spreading lies about us...but that's when our good reputation helps us, like you said..."

I didn't know what else to tell my son...but he seemed reassured by the thought of his good reputation preceding him.  

Reading 1 Peter 2: 11-12 today made me think of this.  Peter reminded me that we don't really belong to this world.  We are just foreigners...passing through...not really acquainted with the ways or even the language of this world.  However, even if we don't speak the same language, our testimony in action must do the communicating for us.  

11 Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

Testimony in action is basically letting the fruits of the Spirit do the talking in our lives.  After all, it is by our fruits that we will be known, right? (Matthew 7: 16) Adopting the ways of the world just make us the same as everyone else.  There is no difference.  Nobody would know we carry the Holy Spirit in us if we live just like the rest who do not know God. There has to be something that makes us different.  Like foreigners are recognized by the way they talk and their practices, we Christians also need to let the fruits, love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5: 22-23) showcase our faith. 

I hope Dylan never has to taste the bitterness of slander in public.  I pray that Our Lord protects him, and I pray he would always be guided by the Light of God and able to let the Holy Spirit grow His fruits in him...and in all of us.  In the Precious Name of Christ.  Ament!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.