Saturday, January 13, 2018

A Day Like Today

A day like today, January 13th, 2014 I took a pill. 

Why would I remember such a thing?

Well, up until then, I had never really been able to swallow a whole pill in my life!  I've always crushed them, chewed them, dissolve them or whatever in order to get them in me.  This pill I took in 2014 I could only swallow whole.  And after a couple of months preparing for it, I was able to take it. 

I praised God that day as if I had walked on water...because, in some respects, that was a walk-on-water type of moment for me. 

That pill would trace the remnants of cancer cells that were still in my body so the next dose, a couple of days later would kill them all. 

Those were not joyful days in my life.  Those were some of the scariests seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years I've ever experienced.  To this day, the fear is very much alive and I struggle every time I have to have a check up.  I worry and fret over the future.  I worry and fret about the present.  I worry and fret about the past.

But today, looking back on that January 13th I see the hope of Christ emerging triumphantly amongst all the rubble and debris produced by my fear.  This morning I read the very same short devotional reading I read on that morning of 2014...a reading that cleared the fog of my clouded mind and allowed the rays of the sun to shine through the persistent mist.  The words say:

"Merciful and faithful Lord, because of Your great love I am not consumed, for Your compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is Your Faithfulness.  I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion; therefore, I will wait for Him.'  Lord, You are good to those whose hope is in You, to the one who seeks You. (Lam. 3:22-25)  Surely, You, Jesus, took up my infirmities and carried my sorrows, yet we considered You stricken by God, smitten by Him and afflicted.  But You were pierced for my transgressions; You were crushed for my iniquities; the punishment that brought me peace was upon You, and by Your wounds, Lord Jesus I am healed." (Praying God's Word Day by Day, Beth Moore)

The Lord spoke to me in 2014 and He speaks to me today through His Word, which is, indeed, made new every day!  Surely, the safest place to be is by His side. (Jesus Calling, Sarah Young).

Praised be His Holy Name!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.