Monday, February 26, 2018

Not Perfect, But Forgiven...

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. 
Galatians 5: 22-26

This was the passage that Pastor Doug preached about yesterday at church.  I have to say, he touched on a few things that bring me back to the concepts I want to focus on during this Lent season. 

First of all, he pointed out that walking with the Spirit is not automatic.  Not because we have become members of the family of God, we are immediately spiritually mature.  The reality of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in us is not about magically turning into sanctified beings.  We still walk on this earth, and as such, we still have to deal with the other reality at play:  this is a fallen world and sin runs rampart.

We don't become perfect all of a sudden.  Of course, with one look from His eyes, Christ could free us from any stronghold we have.  Of course, Jesus can choose to break the chain of our struggle by only saying the word.  The struggle, however, is often part of the healing...part of growing.  The diamond comes forth after carving out the carbon that covers it.  The pearl is form through the pressure.  The gold is refined by the fire.  The wings of the butterfly are made strong enough to fly after the caterpillar wrestles in the cocoon.  I mean, you name it!  The analogies that exemplify the need for the hardship abound in the natural world!  So, perfection might never come while on this shore.  What's the point, then?

The point is to stick with the process.  We are to allow room for the Holy Spirit to work in us.  We are to get out of the way and let Him be Lord!

Growing in our faith is a life-long-road that is only accomplished by staying on it.  The only way to reach Spiritual maturity is by consistently crucifying our sinful nature as we walk on the road Christ has paved for us with His very own blood.

We are not perfect, but empowered, Pastor Doug said...and I truly loved that idea.  The Holy Spirit in us empowers us to take on that road to sanctification.  And my job is to seek Him first!  My job is to keep my eyes on Him!  My job is to pursue a close relationship with Him by spending time in His presence. 

We are not perfect, but forgiven... I continue to fall... but Praised be the Name of the Lord! He picks me up... He takes me, just as I am...

I come broken to be mended
I come wounded to be healed
I come desperate to be rescued
I come empty to be filled
I come guilty to be pardoned
By the blood of Christ the Lamb
And I'm welcomed with open arms
Praise God, just as I am

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.