Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Jesus Speaks to Women: Matthew 25: 1-13


“Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish. 3 Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them, 4 but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 5 But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.

6 “And at midnight a cry was heard: ‘Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!’ 7 Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. 8 And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ 9 But the wise answered, saying, ‘No, lest there should not be enough for us and you; but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.’ 10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut.

11 “Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open to us!’ 12 But he answered and said, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.’

13 “Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming."  Matthew 25: 1-13

My encounter with Scripture today has taken me to a place not where we see Jesus speaking TO women, but a parable in which Jesus uses women as illustration.  I almost skipped it, but I kept going back to it so I decided to obey and let the Holy Spirit lead me to wherever He wants me to go with this meditation...so let's see...

The thing that kept me coming back to the 10 virgins story was the fact that the characters' traits made me think of myself.  OK, we have two groups very well defined:  the 5 wise women and the 5 foolish ones.  I don't think I can fit into either of the two groups!  And that worries me, 'cause I don't want to be in the group that gets the door shut on their faces, hearing their Bridegroom saying to them that he doesn't know them!  YIKES!

But, again, I don't see myself as one of the wise ones either...

I am a lazy procrastinator that is obsessed with doing things the right way and on time.  Does that make sense?  I am riddled with contradictions.  I don't lead a very clear-cut life.  At work, for instance, I would carry around a pile of exams to grade, and I will have the hardest time getting started, then, when I finally get started, I would take a million breaks.  I could not just sit down and plow through it to get it done as quickly as possible.  On the other hand, I am obsessed with returning the exams back to my students on our next class meeting...then, I get mighty frustrated, angry at myself and nervous if the next class comes and I'm not done???!!!  

At home, the house is dirty.  I need to clean it.  I complain about the house being dirty.  The thought of cleaning the house doesn't leave my mind for even an instant.  I walk around in frustration thinking how much dust there is on top of every surface in the house...but yet, I won't just grab the swiffer and clean it!  I rather just complain about it.  Suddenly, I hear someone is coming...and...magic!

So, I don't know if I would be too lazy and too foolish to bring the extra oil so I can be prepared?? I have to tell you, though, I do make sure we have enough toilet paper at home always!  I don't think the zombie apocalypse is going to catch me without a nice reserve of the precious bath tissue!  I wonder if that counts?

Anyway, I worry too much, but then I'm too lazy to do anything about it until the last possible minute. 

The good news is, as it always happens for those in Christ, we don't have to be perfect.  I believe the Lord is merciful and the same way He gives me that injection of will to finish grading my exams on time, or to clean the house before the guests arrive, or to keep a nice reserve of toilet paper under the bathroom sink, He will prompt me to keep me prepared so my lamp can be lit when He returns!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.